Author Topic: a little help  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Jared Grant

a little help
« on: July 29, 2006, 11:54:25 pm »
so i just bought my car and a couple small things wrong, what im looking for is someone who is damn good with dsm's on the island and as close to parksville as possible. my tach is not functioning it might just be a fuse i dont know im kind of a nube, i was just wondering if there is anyone who might wanna help fix it for me ill pay, i just dont wanna have to take it to a shop to get it fixed knowing that it might just be a burnt out fuse or pulled fuse. so if there is anyone who might wanna help me out with that could u pm me please thanks
90 tsi awd. ssqv, tubular header, no cat.

Offline Eric McIntyre

a little help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:44:27 pm »
is the tach your only problem?
is it a stock tach or aftermarket?
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline Ryan Furnemont

a little help
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:03:02 pm »
Get in touch with Wayne or Jeremy from www.westcoastdsm.ca

They both live in Nanaimo and I'm sure they'd be more then willing to help yeh out.

Offline Jared Grant

a little help
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:35 am »
it is the stock tach, and the only thing i know is it doesnt work

Offline Michael Cummings

a little help
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 06:15:14 pm »
you're doin pretty damn good if the only thing that doesn't work is your tach...i think you should be comin down here and helpin us out man
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Jared Grant

a little help
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:20:20 pm »
lol, no it isnt the only thing that doesnt work, and none of this is me i just purchased the car and i am a nube a dont know anything, so i just try to read as much info as i can. i have quite a few things that need fixing before i can even register the car, i just didnt want to have to pay 80 bucks a hour for something that could just be a fuse and someone would know how to fix easily

Offline Miles Frederick

a little help
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:47:53 am »
First of all it's really crazy they are not letting you register without a working tach.  Many cars don't have a tach at all.  If the speedometer and odometer work, that should be enough

The guage cluster itself is a possibility.  If you know anyone you can guage clusters with for a few minutes that might be the first thing to try.  It's super easy to remove and just takes a few minutes.  If it turns out to be that, you should be able to pick one up either here or at ebay for a decent price.  Just make sure it's the Canadian one or they will probably fail you on that.

Another possibility is the power transistor.  I read a thread a few months back on dsmtuners about issues where there is no tach signal on an otherwise perfectly good power transistor.  These are a bit more expensive and a bit more scarce around here due to the fact that they fail periodically.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Jared Grant

a little help
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 05:18:52 pm »
ya it is crazy, but they did fail me on several other accounts also, the exhaust mani is cracked and the gasket has gone bad and it leaks, the parking break cable is done or the caliper they dont know and the a couple of centre bearings on the drive shaft the rubber is starting to crack, the actuall bearing is totally fine just the rubber seal is starting to crack, the tach also is more for me, i can drive it perfectly without one but if i ever wanna drive it harder then i usually do id like to have a tach so i dont wreck something

Offline John Hartman

a little help
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 10:21:39 pm »
slightly cracked rubber in the driveshaft center bearing is bogus.  as is the tach.

I'd take it to a different inspection station, this one looks like they are trying to make you either fail or pay them a buttload of money.

also if your tach is not working, it may be that your cluster or ECU is from a wrong year?  I have heard this sort of talk on the Yahoo group for DSM ECU modding.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jared Grant

a little help
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:12 pm »
ya i think im gunna take it to a different place and see if they will pass me, the problem with the tach is i dont know much yet so i cant try to find out whats wrong because i couldnt tell if it was broken