Author Topic: 4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap  (Read 4606 times)

Dave Leyenaar

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« on: March 26, 2004, 11:25:52 am »
anyone know the difference between our domestic 4G63 and the jdm 4G63t? I am thinkin about ordering one from japan but I wanna know what all has to be changed to do the swap...   i'll jsutbe rippin my ol' mill and tranny out (frontwheeldrive-turbo) and throwin the other one in.. i don't think there is too much drifference except I think I need to use my old intake and shit..   but whatever the case..   any info helps...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:28:57 pm »
The 4G63T is the turbo one. JDM engines usually come complete with turbo and sometime you even get lucky and get a 16G on it. If you currently have a turbo car I don't think anything needs changing but I've never done it.

There are some great reseources out there for this sort of thing. For starters you should go over to www.ca.dsm.org and search their UBB for threads in the general tech section with JDM in the title. I just did and found TONS of info but I can't link the search for you.

PS welcome to the club. If you don't mind I'll add you to the contact list in the meeting forum. What city are you in?

Dave Leyenaar

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:36:08 pm »
i am in port alberni...  al little shit town about an hour north-west of naniamo.  the town is shit but the drive is great.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288528485

Offline lynch michael

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 03:53:01 pm »
Hey man be careful with the "jdm" im from ontario and alot of people just use it as a selling feature generally theres little or no difference between the jap and american motors. It is tru if youre really crafty you can get a jap specd motor with a 16g and 550 injectors but theyre few and far between and if youre buying from anyone other than just a jap auto wrecker or importer theyre probably wise to it. if its a new motor then very little of this matters and youre just buying a new talong motor but im almost certain youre buying a jdm low km imported motor.The cyclone just refers to the intake cause the put out a special on some motors but some will tell you its good other say useless. Before i forget as well make sure youre not getting a second jen motor it can be an easy mistake and you dont want any problems with crankwalk nor do you want the silly litte second gen turbo( i think its a t25 on the 2g and a 14b on the 1g). If youve already got a turbo motor i suggest you fix it rather than blow youre money on a new one but its up to you if you have any other questions about it ill be happy to help i used to buy and ship talon motors all over canada.

Offline Matt Demick

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:51:07 pm »
I Love my JDM :D Mabe beacuse i was a honda owner before lol. I have had no problems at all with mine. One thing is though is u can't used the cyclone intake unless u get the ecu with it. It gives u a bit more tourque but less highend power. I didn't use it ( just sell it on e bay for $150USD :D ) also u would have to use ur stock throttle body since emission in Japan are different.

Other than that the car pulls hard and in just a joy to drive ( 4 once ). but do urself a favor and do a T belt while the motor is out.
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Tim Hunt

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:09:15 pm »
From the RRE website:DSM-GVR4 Motor and Tranny Searching

For guys looking for clean used Japanese engines and transmissions here is a list of the So Cal companies and some additional nation wide locations that import them. Prices vary a lot between them, for the most part you get what you pay for. Between them all, usually two or three will have turbo motors and trannies in stock.

4G63 Motors typically go from $900 to $1400 including manifolds and turbo. Most will be 89-91 GVR-4 motors with a TDO5-14B turbo. You have a 20% chance of getting 91-93 motor with a 16G turbo. You have a 5% chance of getting a 91-93 RS version motor with the yellow bodied 510cc injectors and a Big 16G. It is very hard to tell for sure exactly what motor you will be getting. The best way to try to ascertain which it might be is to ask them to look at the turbo and the color of the injectors.

TDO4 (written on the compressor housing) Tiny turbo from an Auto Tranny car. Same motor, tiny turbo and manifold.

TDO5-14B: All the vanes on the compressor wheel will be the same size. Injectors will be blue (450cc).

TDO5-16G: The vanes on the turbo will be alternating big/small/big/small. Injector color is still blue (450cc)

Big 16G: The vanes on the turbo will be alternating big/small/big/small. Injector color is yellow (510cc)

Still, you will probably be stuck with what is available. Try not to be too picky with which turbo, the condition of the motor is more important. Most will be steam cleaned somewhat, I would rather get one before they clean it up so I can better see what it's real condition was. But by looking inside the oil cap you can get a better idea of how the motor was maintained. A yellowed tint to the inner workings of the cylinder head means less oil changes. A nice clean aluminum color means more oil changes. By taking off the oil filter and cutting it open, you can gain a little knowledge of the motor condition too. Not that you can do this by phone before you buy it but if you are assertive enough when it gets dropped off you might be able to check these things before you take delivery of it.

There is no "Cyclone Motor" The long blocks from Japan are the same year for year as the US motors. They will usually have the Cyclone intake manifolds on them. This is just a dual runner (similar to Toyota's TVIS system) intake manifold that gave a little better bottom end power IF you have all the electronics to properly actuate the butterfly valves.  Also there are clearance issues between the Cyclone manifold and the larger US A/C compressor. Yes you can use it, but not really worth the hassle. Some manifolds will say "Cyclone" on them but not have the dual runner butterfly system. The timing belt upper covers sometimes can be slightly damaged from shipping, also the igniter or coil pack may be damaged. This usually happens in the shipping container on the boat ride from Japan.

Valve covers: Most will have red valve covers, these are from a GVR-4. There are many other Mitsubishis that also used a 1G style turbo 4G63, they can have silver valve covers. As far as we have seen in person and from digging around in the CAPS parts CD, all the long blocks are the same regardless of what turbo or car they came from. They are the same as A US DSM 1G 4G63 from the same year. You still need to be aware of the differences between the early 89-92 6 Bolt Crank motors and the later 93-94 US 7 Bolt crank motors.

EVO Motors: The valve covers of the EVO 1-3 motors will be a kind of titanium color. They are the same as a US 2G motor with nothing fancy. They have the smaller 2G style intake ports, a small runner intake manifold with a larger plenum and a larger throttle body than a 2G motor. Still they are hard to find. Many are from other 4G63 powered cars and can have small 13G sized turbos. They will not bolt into a 1G because there are no provisions for the front roll stopper motor mounts that bolt to the block. Everything in Japan from 94 and up has the front and rear roll stopper motor mounts on the transmission 2G Eclipse style. Many people are running around yapping about how they have an EVO motor in their car. If it bolts into a 1G, it isn't an EVO motor.

When calling these guys you may have to deal with some heavy accents. We ask for "four by four" on the transmissions. "Four wheel drive" can be confused with "front wheel drive" sometimes. AWD trans go from $450-700 including transfer cases.  Feel free to to try to cut a better deal if they have the motor and tranny still in one piece. They will often discount it a bit if you buy both. Be careful about what trannies you buy. In Japan they have several different final drive ratios. Anything with close ratio gears or a LSD front diff will most likely have the wrong final drive ratio. Any tranny with a strange vacuum actuator hanging off the front will be very old and has the wrong gear ratios also.

There is no way to determine the mileage on these. They will always quote 40,000-60,000 but there is no way to really know. Most are very clean. They guarantee the motors and trans for 6 months and usually 6,000 miles, but just the parts and not the labor or shipping. In Japan they have very strict licensing laws and regulations which get older cars off the street at a young age. Do you really think there are 12 year old GVR4s getting scrapped with only 40,000-60,000 miles on the odometer? I don't.

If I had a turbo motor in my car and it was just tired, I would rebuild it and know what I had, rather than "roll the dice" with a JDM motor.
When My 7 bolt walked I had the chance to just drop in a JDM and be done with it, and save alot of money in the process, but I chose to buy a "tired" 6 bolt motor and have it rebuilt.
Do I regret my decision.....No
.3L Magnus Motorsports
      Hybrid stroker
  Now FP 3052 boosted

Offline lynch michael

4G63- 4G63T cyclone swap
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:44:19 pm »
I think I've just been shown : :?