Author Topic: Fog Light kit install  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Damian Zerr

Fog Light kit install
« on: November 07, 2002, 06:49:12 pm »
I'm having trouble getting my aftermarket fog lights to turn on. I'm pretty sure I got all the wires where they should be, the kit has three ground wires, I have all three grounded to the chassis. I have the one big white wire on the battery. Now there is just this red wire I have to deal with, the instructions says " red wire - wire to low or high beam head lamp +" Do I have to connect this wire for the fogs to turn on? Where exactly do I connect this one red wire to? Any help would be great, thx.
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Re: Fog Light kit install
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 06:57:51 pm »
Quote from: "Damian Zerr"
" Do I have to connect this wire for the fogs to turn on? Where exactly do I connect this one red wire to? Any help would be great, thx.

Think of the wires for your foglights like you would for your stereo.

Ground
Constant
Signal/Switch.

Your grounds are covered ... your constant (or hot (white)) is covered now your signal or switch.  Can be set up as either the highbeams being the switch (ie: you turn your highbeams on, and the foglights turn on ... vice versa) or you hook them up to your low beams (foglights being on whenever the lowbeams are on (all the time if you havne't disabled your DRL)).  OR .. you could go buy a $5 switch, and a little bit of wire (ground, hot and switch) and hook your red wire (the "signal/switch" wire from your foglights) to the switched output on the switch.  Therefor leaving you the option to turn your foglights on/off whenever you want... whether the highs/lows are on or off.  Just make sure your source for the switch-device is a switched source (ignition switched) ... this would prevent you from leaving your fog-lights on while your car is off by accident and killing your battery.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Sean Tran

Fog Light kit install
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 06:59:49 pm »
Just wire it to a power/switch source.  What it means is that when turn on your headlight (if you decide to wire it to the headlight - the headlight acts as a switch), it sends a signal (12 volt) to the relay (acts as a gate) that comes with the foglight and "opens the gate" and allow power from the white wire that you've connected to the battery to flow through the relay to the foglight.

So basically just wire that red wire to anything that you want to use to turn on the foglights.
url=http://members.shaw.ca/dsmtalon]'93 6-bolt TSi AWD[/url]

R.I.P.  Jay
BC DSM 2003

Offline Damian Zerr

Fog Light kit install
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 07:29:57 pm »
thank you, thank you, fogs work now :)
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline Damian Zerr

Fog Light kit install
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 08:32:13 pm »
and the final result is.....