Author Topic: Kind of a Long Question........  (Read 1541 times)

Anonymous

Kind of a Long Question........
« on: October 27, 2002, 10:07:07 am »
Hi. I'm new to the list and am interested in getting a Talon and I was just wondering what your guys' opinion of this would be.
 I've been looking for The Perfect Talon for forever now and I'm kinda sick of waiting so I'm thinking of buying one that's pretty damn close instead. It's a 92 AWD with 200k's. The interior is Immaculate besides some wear of the shift knob. It has all the goodies besides leather and a sunroof (alarm, a/c etc). No mods (which I want because I don't wanna kill myself) and it's had two owners, both girls. The first owners had it for 9 years and they were very well off I hear. The car got completely serviced practically every 5000k. The only accident it's had is getting keyed and so it has two year old black paint. My dad's a mechanic and he says he can't find a thing wrong with it besides it's high (mainly highway) km's.
The girl is asking $9 grand. Is this waaaaaayyyyy too much for what it is, or just slightly high?
 Sorry it's so long, I appreciate the help.

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 10:29:20 am »
I wouldn't pay over 7k for a 92 with 200000kms on it.  Thats just me though.  If the shifter knob has alot of wear on it, that would tell me that the kms were mostly city miles and the user did alot of shifting.  Thats just my thoughts.

If you don't want to mod the car, I would consider getting an N/T.  Better on gas, lower insurance rates and they look exactly the same.  Did I mention that they are much cheaper?
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 10:30:47 am »
i would say thats a little pricey for a car with 200k on it, but if it hasnt been driven hard and has been maintained well it, who knows
3.45 @ 101.8mph

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 10:42:39 am »
The shift knob doesn't have "used" wear and tear....it just looks like maybe it got a chunk ripped out of it. Just looks like a little accident.
And the only reason I want a turbo is for the AWD. I get lots of snow where I live and I need something that's a bit better in those conditions, besides a big truck........
Anyways thanx for the opinions.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 10:49:11 am »
I paid 8000 for my 92tsi (two years ago!!).  It had over 200,000km on it.  But the interior and exterior was in great shape (I saw it and I had to have it).  But I got the 6 bolt engine (better than 7 bolt) and the 4 bolt rear (better than 3 bolt).  And there is no rust on it.

If you are planning on performance enhancements, the high mileage may not be too big an issue.   You will be replacing the turbo with a bigger one, right?   Anyway, with a car over 200,000kms,  plan on having to do a rebuild within the year.  

My car now has 249,500 on it, and I am building a motor to put in next spring.

That price is too high.  If its a 7 bolt engine, its probably way too high....  Utlimately, its worth what you are willing to pay.  Nice 6 bolt 92s (early 92- before April 1st/92) are getting quite rare.....

If you love the car, and have to have it,  get a mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb.  Have him document EVERY flaw, and present this list to the seller.   Hopefully you can get the price down.  

Obviously, if major issues are uncovered, you can walk away, or demand they be repaired before you make an offer....

EDIT:  Check to see that the recalls have been done.  Look under the car and see if the transfer case leaks (wet under the car around the transfer case yoke).  That alone is a $300+ repair bill.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8