Author Topic: clutch: need opinions  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Wayne Barbaza

clutch: need opinions
« on: October 27, 2002, 12:14:57 pm »
wasup peeps,

first of all, I'm wondering, assuming I have no boost leaks, is it possible that a 'soon to go clutch' would "sometimes" give me that disappointing 'wheres the boost?' feeling?  Sometimes, and just sometimes, it feels like the car doesnt go like it usual does.

I've been wanting to replace the clutch anyways cuz its still the original stock '97.  I've read to stay away from center force, and stick with ACT.
What are your guys personal opinions/experiences?

im a 'mildly modded' kinda guy, so im thinkin the act2100 would suffice.

thanks!
wayne

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 02:29:03 pm »
This is pretty helpful, explains it as well as anything:

Scoll down to clutch chooser assistant:
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ecldrivetrain.htm

Everything has pros and cons.....
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline wally siu

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 11:27:27 pm »
I run the centerforce, have never had a problem with it. The pedal is as light as stock and holds everything i throw at it. ie. 5000rpm launches

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 12:55:35 am »
Wayne, to know if its your clutch, does it pull fine and then you get the "wheres the boost at" feeling, or do you boost get that feeling let go push on it again and it boosts and is fine, or can you down shift and the boost pulls hard?  Cause if the clutch is going, at any point in anytime you will feel no power when you get into the higher rpm.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 12:56:06 am »
BTW thats what I thought what was wrong with mine, but it is the dreadful "Phantom Knock"
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Anonymous

Clutch
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 08:45:57 am »
Wayne - I'm using a CFDF with no problems.  I had also read that ACT was better, and that people have had problems with the CFDF.  It seems that the most common problem with the Centerforce clutches is people not breaking them in properly... and doing my breakin I can see why..it's hard to stay off boost for that long!  There's a considerable price difference between the ACT and the CFDF.   The major BC wholesale supplier for ACT has a reputation with the parts shops (and it's not a good one)  the guy won't budge on prices at all.... CFDFs, however, can be had for about $500.00  The only other point to keep in mind is that ACT pressure plates and clutch discs can be bought seperately, whereas the CFDFs are sold as a set only.

Offline Mike Schmid

clutches
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 11:56:26 am »
I can't vouch for the ACT but the Centerforce is a good clutch.  I have a dual friction in my NT and it's been a great clutch.  It's as light as a stock clutch, good modulation, great for city driving.  After a year of stellar performance my tranny puked a bunch of oil on it.  It was still normally driveable even though it slipped at full power.  Anyhow, I soaked the unit in laquer thinner and put it back in and it runs great.  It slips at the dragstrip still and if there's plenty of tractions it'll slip on a hard launch... But that's not too bad for a clutch that shoul dhave gone in the garbage.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 04:29:48 pm »
I have a CFDF, and was racing in Mission with a 20G at 22psi on race gas.  I can recommend the clutch.  

To make it last a long time, never launch when the clutch is hot.  When is the clutch hot?   For about half an hour after a hard launch.....  :fire:
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 11:49:07 pm »
I've had an ACT 2600 for the last 2 years or so; pretty happy with it.  I paid $595 cdn for the clutch (w/ street disk) to Jerry Hong.  The heavy pedal takes a few weeks to get use to.  I'm not even sure why I went with this clutch since I never really race. :p  Probably because of the fact when I toasted my OEM clutch, I thought I'd get something stronger so I wouldn't have to pay another $900 to fix the car.

But anyway, after you get use to the pedal it's fine.  It seems to chatter a bit when engaging into first from a stop at low RPMs, but shifting is fine after that.  The chattering is normal I assume, but it really chattered after I put stiffer motor mounts in.  The engagementt point is REALLY low.  I even adjusted the rod to the last thread and it's still relatively low compared to other cars I've driven.  The "window" of engagement is pretty small too.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2002, 08:37:14 am »
I've had a CFDF and now an ACT 2600.

I killed my CFDF in 9 months of use with a proper break-in procedure.  However my car is raced both by myself and brother in law and occasionally did not have the 30 minute cool down period between autox runs.

The CFDF was totally destroyed by heat and all of the friction material was eaten away.  The clutch had great pedal feel up to it's death however.

I am now using the ACT 2600.  I am extremely pleased with my choice.  The 2600 doesn't chatter at all and the clutch feel isn't too much different than the CFDF.  I had heard horror stories about how stiff it was.

For the extra safety, I'd recommend the ACT 2600.  Tons of holding power and less likely to die if you don't wait for 30 minutes between launching it hard.

-Kevin

Offline Wayne Barbaza

hehe
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2002, 12:52:25 pm »
thanks for all the input guys! much appreciated! This will all come in handy cuz im due for a replacement soon anyways...

funny thing is back to my original problem:  

I'm thinking my original 'wheres the boost feeling' could owe itself to the recent weather??...hehe...pretty simple but I know my car doesnt like hot muggy/humid days.....maybe it doesnt like foggy weather either....and lately, although its been chilly, still kinda damp/foggy.....this morning it was cold, crisp and dry and the car felt great....

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 05:22:50 pm »
Wayne, you are experiencing "Modification Acceleration Acclimatization Syndrome aka MAAS",  (see also, Boost Withdrawl)  where you have felt the rush of added speed due to recent mods.  But that was last week.

Now that you are used to the new speed, it feels normal.  And lets face it, normal is SLOW.  You need to do some more mods, buddy...

You are A-dicted, son.  :booze:
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Wayne Barbaza

i know
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 08:13:58 pm »
Chris, I've been suffering from that for a long time now...but lately I've come down with a case of VehicleInspectionophobia.  It stopped me from grabbing Wally's hks hiper from him.....I figure later on I'll have enough cash to buy another car to make my daily driver....then i can go crazy on the talon  :D