Author Topic: Need a alternator  (Read 1381 times)

Chao C. Yin

Need a alternator
« on: October 28, 2002, 10:25:07 pm »
When I was driving home tonite from work, all of the sudden half of my dash's warning light came on, including the battery/alternator light, and the car begin to idle a little rough, and the headlight became dim.

Anyway, I drove it home, which is not very far away, ran a voltage test, the alternator was not charging.  So my 12 month and 2 weeks old (just outta warranty) Bosch Alternator died on me tonite. :V:

Pissed me off........

Anyone suggest a place to get a replacement alternator? or recommandation on brand? or someone has a spare one laying around?

I thought Bosch products is as good as aftermarket replacement gets, but guess not in my case.

Luckily my mom has picked up her new Jeep tonite, so I get to drive her Mazda around for the time being.

Offline KevinBuckham

Need a alternator
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 08:39:58 am »
I've heard bad reports about pretty much ALL after market replacement alternators for DSMs.  Some think they are just crappy, and others think it may be the heat that kills the voltage regulator on them.

It is probably best to stick with the expensive factory part.  (Or find an alternator off of a Talon in a wrecking yard.)

Good luck!

-Kevin

Chao C. Yin

Need a alternator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 09:45:09 am »
Thx Kevin:

Now another question.  Are all 90-99 Alternators the same? (besides the Canadian ones are 90amp and US is 75amp)

Basically I want to know if I can use any alternator removed from a turbo DSM 90-99

thx.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Need a alternator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 05:38:28 pm »
I got mine from Lordco, I can't remember the price, but it was really good.   Just tell them that their competitor (____ Auto Parts)  has a slightly cheaper price and they will match it.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8