Author Topic: No compression on #2 cylinder  (Read 2104 times)

Terry Dadswell

No compression on #2 cylinder
« on: October 29, 2002, 08:45:48 pm »
Drove my TSI Talon to work this morning and on the way there my car started to chug like it was only running 3 cylinders. (this has happened before but always has gone away after a few minutes).   :(   I got the car home tonight and did a compression test and found my #2 cylinder has no compression whatsoever  (this never happened before).

I am in the process now of tearing apart my engine. I hope I don't find the worst. Funny thing is is that there is no unusual noises comming from my engine when it is running. Everything is normal other than there is no compression in my #2 cylinder. I think maybe there is a hole in my piston or a valve spring is broken. What else could cause no compression in a cylinder. There is no antifreeze in my oil which should rule out a cracked block. It shouldn't be a head gasket otherwize there would be low compression in another cylinder beside it which there is not. Very strange indeed.

Any suggestions, ideas on what it could be? I really am not looking forward to ripping apart my engine as I don't have any spare cash to put back into it, but I must do what I have to do.   :cry:

Terry

Chao C. Yin

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 10:55:18 pm »
Your valve is burnt.  Even a really worn piston ring should at least give you some compression.  No compression is usually a burnt/broken valve.

Do a leak down test and you will know exactly.

Terry Dadswell

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2002, 04:47:41 pm »
Hello Chao C. Yin,

Thanks for your comment. It was right on the money. Good call. After spending 3 days and many hours trying to get my head removed, I finally succeeded. After inspecting my valves, I see that one of my exhaust valves in the #2 cylinder in indeed burnt. That was where all my compression was going. Now I have to get my head reconditioned. Lucky my parents know a friend who strictly does engine reconditioning and will do my head for about half the cost than normal.

Thanks again, Terry

Quote from: "Chao C. Yin"
Your valve is burnt.  Even a really worn piston ring should at least give you some compression.  No compression is usually a burnt/broken valve.

Terry Dadswell

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2002, 04:50:14 pm »
Hello Chao C. Yin,

Thanks for your comment. It was right on the money. Good call. After spending 3 days and many hours trying to get my head removed, I finally succeeded. After inspecting my valves, I see that one of my exhaust valves in the #2 cylinder in indeed burnt. That was where all my compression was going. Now I have to get my head reconditioned. Lucky my parents know a friend who strictly does engine reconditioning and will do my head for about half the cost than normal.

Thanks again, Terry

Terry Dadswell

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2002, 04:51:03 pm »
Hello Chao C. Yin,

Thanks again, Terry