Author Topic: "weighted" shiftknobs vs. "light-weight"  (Read 766 times)

Offline Fred Cheng

"weighted" shiftknobs vs. "light-weight"
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:35:45 am »
Hey guys,

I'm most likely getting a B&M Edge shifter for my 2G TSi AWD, along with some urethane shifter bushings... I thought I might as well get a new shiftknob and was looking at the GReddy ones... what's the point of a "weighted" shiftknob?  How 'bout a "light-weight" one?  Why the 2 extremes?  What's the reasoning?

Thanks for the info!

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 10:01:15 am »
The weight or no weight is mostly about feel. In some gearboxes, the shifter movement is so light that it just isn't comfortable without adding some weight to it. The other thing is that with a weighted shifter knob it will bang into gear more solidly, since there is some inertia to the movement.

In the end, it's all about feel. When you go to the store, get them to let you try a few in the parking lot. Just slip them on and see how they feel. Even if you're gonna buy online, test with the store ones first to get an idea of how you like it.

My very first mod to my car was to replace this big donkey-cock stock shifter with a real nice Momo black leather short shifter. It goes on with set screws and the stock shaft goes right to the top of it. This not only makes it quite short but adds the weight of the shaft to the knob. It feels great to me and I'll never change it.

Good luck 8)

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 10:28:58 am »
I have a Greddy classic ( weighted style ) screws on dosn't use dumb little screws its application specific I love it the added weight deffatly feels better but hey I have a leather knob around here if you want that instead  :wink:
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Tim Hunt

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 07:30:56 pm »
I have one of Ziggy's RTM shift knob's
Weighs a ton, screw's on, custom logo.
Cheaper than the Greddy.
Solid SS.
.3L Magnus Motorsports
      Hybrid stroker
  Now FP 3052 boosted

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 11:08:31 am »
Running MOMO F16, it's quite heavy and it improved shifting gears feel a ton. Heavier shifters make shifting feel lighter.

Offline Fred Cheng

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:23:39 pm »
A belated thanks for the replies, guys!  Been busy with still (still is) so not much time to check the boards...

What is meant by a "counter-weighted" knob as opposed to a "weighted" knob then?  Some companies, including GReddy, offer both kinds, but I haven't found much other info.

Thanks.  :)

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---