Author Topic: funny noise  (Read 711 times)

Offline Nick Walker

funny noise
« on: March 24, 2007, 04:28:24 pm »
so just got a new head put on my car because i bent all my valves. and now when i take off from a stop i hear this clunk noise coming from my driver side at the front. i think it's something to do with my axel or strut maybe. anybody have any idea's?
1997 Talon tsi awd

Offline John Hartman

funny noise
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 09:31:27 pm »
if they removed the motor mount to have easier access to the timing belt/cam pulley bolts, they may have forgotten to torque the bolts or something like that.

Just check those bolt torque settings.  No need for actual torque wrench, just put a big wrench on each bolt.  If it moves, they need to be tightened  ;)

I believe there are 14mm and 17mm.  There may be a 19mm as well.  Bolts go thru top to bottom as well as front to back, so get em all.

If not, and if its an axle or suspension thing, it is probably just coincidence as no suspension things need to be moved.

If they did the whole timing belt, they may have left something loose in there(hope not) but its worth looking at.  Also if they did the whole timing belt thing, the drivers wheel lug nuts might be loose.

You don't have to do the whole timing belt thing to take off the head, but some people might and also, if they slipped while doing the head, and the engine needed to be retimed, they may have taken it apart at the timing belt end.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nick Walker

funny noise
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:38:22 pm »
well i just ended up checking the motor mounts and they were all tight. nothing in the timing cover. but some how the noise went away, now i don't know if that's a good thing or bad but i guess i'll just leave it. i don't boost at all because i need an exhaust and it's bottle necked from my 3" downpipe to stock exhaust cat back so it's not like i'm putting a lot of stress on my axle.
1997 Talon tsi awd

Offline Nick Walker

funny noise
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:18:27 pm »
well.....the noise came back. i replaced my lateral arm because it was shot. and the noise got a little bit quieter but after a week or so the clunk noise came back. the 3 bolts in my axle are all tight and fine so there's no problems there. sometimes when i park my car up hill i'll pull the e-brake and when i let off the brake it clunks again. my brake pads are fine too so i don't think it's them. if i go over a bump slowly it'll make the clunk noise too. i'm really stumped and don't know what else to do. any suggestions would be great, thanks guys.
1997 Talon tsi awd

Offline Jesse Veitch

funny noise
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:24:28 pm »
check your ball joints?
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
funny noise
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26:08 pm »
fwd or awd? if awd, check the driveshaft mounts.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Offline Nick Walker

funny noise
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 10:01:02 pm »
it's awd derek. i'll try and get around to checking the driveshaft
1997 Talon tsi awd