Author Topic: "Tune-up" necessary?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Jacky Ng

"Tune-up" necessary?
« on: July 10, 2003, 11:38:14 pm »
Hi guys,
Today when I was at chrysler making an appointment for an oil change the service advisor said my car is due for a tune-up which is about 500 bones.  He said something about changing fluids and clearning the cylinder heads or something.  I know he's trying to rip me off but is there anything specifically I should do?  My car's a 97 with 80k.  I got it used last year and it runs great and doesn't have many problems.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)

Troy Simkus

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 01:22:20 am »
you should change all your fluids soon, and do your timing belt/waterpump/balance shaft belt/etc. the sooner the better for that.

Just take a look in your manual it'll say what all your service needs are, 90K is a fairly big one.    Dont take it to the dealer to do it unless they do it free under warantee or something.

Offline Eric McIntyre

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 04:23:55 pm »
stay away from SATAN!!!!(the dealer) luckily my dads a mechanic so tune ups are free :laugh:
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline John Hartman

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 01:07:43 am »
tune ups on modern cars are a waste of  money, as they only involve replacing the fuel filter and plugs.  In the old days you had a carb or several to adjust and lemme tell ya if you've ever balanced twin Delorto's or Webbers, or tried to balance a set of Keihins on a a 4 cyl bike, you will appreciate a tuneup.  

But do all the routine maintainance, such as all your fluids(diffs, tranny, transfercase, engine oil, coolant, even brake/clutch fluid)  Do timing/balance belts.  Clean out everything you can find.

and then do your own fuel filter and plugs.  It will cost you less than $50 for them.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Travis Merrick

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 10:37:58 pm »
belts and fluids do at Lowell's, much cheaper and better, alot of these Satan mechanics I have noticed dont know how to work on DSM's, they are pretty stupid, and whe it comes to major stuff like this, dont bother with them, Lowell actually knows what hes doing.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline John Hartman

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 05:13:47 pm »
what Travis said...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline William Lin

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 05:28:09 pm »
stay away from the dealers!!!! and all big name service centers, like fountain tire, goodyear, midas, etc.... they just want your money so they max out on labour costing u hundreds....
ure better off going to a small no name mechanic... get to know them... tell them u'll come back if they do a good job and they will. they'll even hook u up on prices.
thats how it is with the little guys, they want your business and are willing to do a good job on your car, to keep loyal customers.

so my advice is to go to the little places.

Offline John Hartman

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 07:01:04 pm »
you do have to watch the little guys tho.  Places like L&R are great, and we are lucky to have it, and others like it.  But I have seen other small shops that bend ya over and don't stand behind thier work.  They have no "big brother" lookin over thier shoulder.

I used to be a Volvo nut(79 GT)  and I took it to a place that the BCVC recommended.  He was great at first, cheap prices, let me help, did a good job, drove me to and from work, did odd hours to get me done.  But then one time I had it in for shocks/struts.  He did them, but he stole my '79 GT springs, and replaced them with like 81 or so DL springs.  The 79 GT springs are variable rate, 1.5" lower, and much stiffer.  That was one of the big things that seperated the GT from the lesser Volvos.  And they are rare as hell.  People pay upwards of $250 for 20+ year old stock springs!!  There are only a handful of 79 GT's in BC!!  Like 4 or 5.  And now one of them has the wrong, too tall, too soft springs in it.  Just so his piece of crap DL can have cool springs in it.  And when I faced him with the evidence he just got all pissy and nothing came of it.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, just watch all shops, not just the big ones.

Offline Jacky Ng

"Tune-up" necessary?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 11:48:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I will keep up with the routine maintenace listed in the owner's manual.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)