Author Topic: Oil Leak - Need Help  (Read 796 times)

Offline Edwin Nigam

• Streetfire.net
Oil Leak - Need Help
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
I have a 97 Talon with a 420a engine there is a small oil leak but dont know where its coming from
Ill probably end up changing the head gasket
but does anyone know a good garage were they can tell me exactly where its coming from?

Jamie Oswald

Re: Oil Leak - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:13:39 pm »
yeah dude its called gettin on your hands and knees gettin under there cleaning it up a bit then going for a drive let it sit and see where shes leaking... get dirty and play with shit cus with a dsm the fun never stops...as in shit brakes things leak....the list goes on

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »
...and now for something useful..

Whereabouts is the oil leak coming from? Top of the engine? Bottom? Right? Left? On the Turbo? A General idea might help us pinpoint a few locations for you. Changing the headgasket is probably NOT the problem. Your headgasket would have to be REALLY blown to leak oil badly and i'd imagine your car would show signs of trouble.

Typical trouble spots are oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets... etc

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
you can park over a clean piece of cardboard and have a look in a few hours. note where the oil is in relation to the engine above it and track upwards. use your fingers to feel for wet where you can't see.  with any luck you'll find it.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »
if your not mechanicaly inclined, a good shop that i've had good relations with is Goodyear on Willingdon by Brentwood mall. they have a maintenance package for around 70 bucks and they'll go over a list of things to check and they'll most likely find whats causing it, plus you'll get your oil and all the fluids topped up.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:12 pm »
first things first.  Get some good engine shampoo.

Follow the instructions on the can/bottle.  Follow them again.  Keep doing this until there is no oil or grease anywhere under the hood.  Do the bottom and sides of the engine if possible.

Drive the car or at least idle it for a while till its bone dry, or let it sit overnite.

Now, run the car or drive it until the leak is evident.  See, now the oil will show up on your nice clean engine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Derek Fung

• STOP ASKING ME IF ITS TURBO!! YOU CAN HEAR IT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 01:07:52 am »
if you want, go get some engine oil flourescent dye.  Then hit it with a black light, and you'll see where all the leaks are coming from.
2.3l fully built stroker. gt35r powered
12.126 @ 121.03

Jamie Oswald

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:36:44 am »
first things first.  Get some good engine shampoo.

Follow the instructions on the can/bottle.  Follow them again.  Keep doing this until there is no oil or grease anywhere under the hood.  Do the bottom and sides of the engine if possible.

Drive the car or at least idle it for a while till its bone dry, or let it sit overnite.

Now, run the car or drive it until the leak is evident.  See, now the oil will show up on your nice clean engine.

Just as i said but in a quicker way.

Offline Edwin Nigam

• Streetfire.net
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:39:46 am »
thanks for the feedback