Author Topic: Advice on what kind of brake pads?  (Read 1524 times)

Jamie Oswald

Re: Advice on what kind of brake pads?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:45:08 am »
hey matt, with your powerslot rotors and hawk hp brake pads, did you find that they faded at all? Ive been reading some reviews on them and some people claim they fade quick and warp just wondering if you found that to be true. Would you say that theyre really sensitive?

Just to clear some things up; pads fade, rotors warp.  Rotors don't actually warp, they get uneven pad material buildup on them.  This comes primarily from improper break-in (yes, you need to break in new pads and rotors) and also poor driving habits.  Like coming off the highway at 110, braking hard to a stop then sitting thru a red light on the brakes.  The rotors don't cool evenly with the pads clamped on one spot.  

I'm not sure if rotors are going to make any noticeable difference in braking unless you're changing size, which you won't be.   I'd have to see actual testing to believe it.  I'd buy a good quality OEM style replacement.  I'd stay away from as-cheap-as-possible chinese reject junk, at least on the front.  They are your brakes after all and they're kind of important.  

Pads go from quiet, low dust, low rotor wear units that work well cold and fade quickly with heat up to loud, dusty ones that eat rotors for dinner and don't work until they get hot but still stop when the rotor is glowing.  Find one that suits your needs.  Probably a good quality OEM style replacement or a street oriented performance pad.  

Also make sure you check over your calipers, slide pins, brackets and lubricate all the moving parts with a good hi temp brake lube.  I'd guess more brakes on older used cars get wrecked before their time because of seized slide pins than anything else.  

As far as Midas and such, I don't have any personal experience but I've heard they bring you in with the super cheap brake job ads then hit you with a bunch of other work that you didn't know you needed.  Just what I've heard though, again, no personal experience. 

lol pretty much what i said. The vented rotors will deffinatly help you out. The dust will spin out the grooves and the heat/gasses will as well. Id go for the powerstop and hawk hp pads. should work good

Offline kimfederico

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:24:18 am »
thanks for the info, thats really helpful.
as for midus, yea thats exactly what they did to me. $1100 later, i have a new exhaust and an o2 sensor, and they quoted me on $350...haha harsh..
but yea thanks again.
1999 eclipse gsx - Ass, gas or grass, nobody rides for free

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 01:17:38 pm »
hey matt, with your powerslot rotors and hawk hp brake pads, did you find that they faded at all? Ive been reading some reviews on them and some people claim they fade quick and warp just wondering if you found that to be true. Would you say that theyre really sensitive?

Well I dont have any brake fade problems on them, and they are not over sensitive at all, I think they have resisted warping and grab better than stock. I broke them in correctly and no problems whatsoever. But I personally try not to brake very hard most of the time anyway, I am left footed kinda guy ;D , so I have no complaints about them as of yet and I have had them for 2 years now
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)