Author Topic: Rear end noise  (Read 524 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Rear end noise
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
So for the past week, I've been getting this noise coming and going only when the car is cold. Today and yesterday is the first that it happened two days in a row.

When I start it in the morning, it sounds fine while I'm parked. I can rev and still it sounds fine. As soon as I start moving, I hear a sound that sounds just like what it would sound like if I were to drag an empty pop can. I stop, and it goes away. Once the car is hot, it stops completely...also it sounds as if it's coming from the rear end somewhere. I'm thinking that it's the differential...low on fluid maybe?

What do you guys think? If it's the diff, how hard is it to change the fluid?

Thanks,
Ryan
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline John Hartman

Re: Rear end noise
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:05:30 am »
fluid change is easy.  Jack it up, put a pan under the diff, pull the plug(22mm socket), pull the fill plug(same socket) and let it drain out.  When its done, put the drain plug back in and then fill it up with some Redline 75/90 shockproof gear oil(Lordco, on the shelf).

I would also look at your rear brake, to see if something is stuck in them or bent.  Look at your axles, driveshaft etc.  Could be a foreign object(no not a dude from merry ole England) stuck in between the driveshaft and the exhaust, or could be a bent heat shield on the exhaust touching the driveshaft.

This might also be something totally different.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods