Author Topic: (Moved) engine for my 1990 plymouth laser  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Stirling Schroeder

• 1990 laser
(Moved) engine for my 1990 plymouth laser
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:23:33 pm »
old engine went need something better. If you happebn to have one laying around that runs let me know thanks
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: wtb...engine for my 1990 plymouth laser
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:02:06 pm »
4g63??? turbo or not??  4g37 (1.8L)?

DETAILS!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

• 1990 laser
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »
2.0L non turbo wanting to put turbo in after a while tho
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:03:45 am »
sterling you seem new here and maybe new to dsm;s, so I feel I should give you a few tips of your choice.

If you want a turbo engine in any dsm....     decide now before you buy your non-turbo engine. To switch from non-turbo to turbo is very expensive in comparison to just selling what you have now and buying a dsm with a good turbo engine already. TRUST ME.

If you wanted to convert your non-turbo to turbo, you would need a whole new wiring harness unless you had some sort of Standalone Engine Management (AEM EMS).

Regardless of how much you have invested in your current set-uup...   save yourself the trouble and stress on you and your wallet by just selling what you have and buying a turbo dsm ...    if thats what you want.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:27:19 am »
sterling you seem new here and maybe new to dsm;s, so I feel I should give you a few tips of your choice.

If you want a turbo engine in any dsm....     decide now before you buy your non-turbo engine. To switch from non-turbo to turbo is very expensive in comparison to just selling what you have now and buying a dsm with a good turbo engine already. TRUST ME.

If you wanted to convert your non-turbo to turbo, you would need a whole new wiring harness unless you had some sort of Standalone Engine Management (AEM EMS).

Regardless of how much you have invested in your current set-uup...   save yourself the trouble and stress on you and your wallet by just selling what you have and buying a turbo dsm ...    if thats what you want.

+1000000
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 05:53:06 pm »
and 1.

Also, turboing the non turbo involves rebuilding it, with turbo rods, pistons, oil squirters. 

Then it involves a clutch and flywheel.  And hope the non turbo tranny works out for ya.

Then the maf sensor, the ECU, the wiring harness, the fuel pump.

probably forgetting something.

Don't worry its very common.  Even among car guys and alot of professionals, there is an opinion that you can just hang a turbo off a manifold and its going to be all good.

If you want my advice, get a good used engine, put it in the Laser, and if you like it drive it, if not sell it and put the money towards a stock good condition turbo car.

And were I asked about it, get all wheel drive too.  Yes its that much better, in every way except for a SLIGHT drop in fuel economy.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
A good used turbo motor can be had for under 1000$ complete. My parts car had a good running 7 bolt (92 talon) and it had 145 compression all the way accross, I sold it complete for 600$ came with everything right down to an aluminum flywheel, alt, ac pump, etc. the only thing it didnt come with was a turbo and a thermostat housing
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

• 1990 laser
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 01:59:07 am »
i realize there is alot of work in it but i fixed the wireing harness and stuff like it works now and evrething is in working order and in good shape i just need to find a motor for it now like the compression is good just number 2 cylender is dead but evrething else is good so like you guys said its just easeyer finding a turbod engine and poutting it in so ill see if i can find that but i had a parts car for this one its where the engine came outa in the first place but its all gone now...
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:33:28 am »
to put a turbo motor in ur car that is a non turbo u will also need a turbo ecu...but they are cheap
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:45 am »
read my post, don't just skim over it.  There is alot more to putting the factory turbo engine in a non turbo car.

as well, find out WHY the current engine has a dead hole.  It may have a burned valve or blown head gasket.  Changing a head is way way way easier and MUCH cheaper.

But I get the feeling you already have a plan and will do it regardless,so, as they say, givver.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:33 pm »
Reagrdless, even if you get a whole new TURBO ENGINE....     you still need a TURBO WIRING HARNESS if im not mistaken.

and thats MEGA work. Aside from that, the gear ratios in your transmission are different on than a turbo transmission...    but I guess thats just a matter of choice of gear ratios.

John's right in the sense you should find out why one of the cylinders is dead. It may just be a bad valve in the cylinder head giving you low compression. If that was the case, you would not need a new engine. I'd pull the engine apart first and make yur decision from there.

Worst comes to worse, you can just buy a turbo shortblock with a new manifold and turbo while you reuse your same cylinder head with different cams if it is good.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 02:13:15 pm »
Keep it simple respectfully just buy a turbo DSM instead, and be done with it
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline chris belgardt

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 03:23:20 pm »
i just did the non turbo to turbo conversion but decided to not redo my clutch so that where i stand i found it not that bad took me a weekend
992 plymouth laser RS stock

• 1990 laser
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 02:15:50 am »
well im terring the engine apart just to see wut it is thats makeing it only run on 3 cylenders i got both manifolds off i just have to get the timeing belt and stuff off now
1990 plymouth laser

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 01:53:33 pm »
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pts/909921430.html

theres a 1.8L non turbo there if yea want $170
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.