Author Topic: [b]Engine Swap[/b]  (Read 436 times)

Anonymous

[b]Engine Swap[/b]
« on: August 04, 2003, 04:53:13 pm »
Hey people.  I currently have a 1992 NT FWD.  Do you know what major problems I could encounter by installing a JDM turbo engine that comes with ECU?  Would it just be a bolt on thing and i'm good to go?   I've always wanted to have more power.  I know, everybody will say sell my car and buy a turbo talon, but i've done mods to my car that i don't want to have to do again.  I like the way it looks and handles.  I was looking at www.magnusmotorsports.com but i think they cater to people that already have turbo engines and basically just swap the block.  I'd need all the turbo parts and ecu.

Graeme Shaw

[b]Engine Swap[/b]
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 06:21:06 pm »
L&R could probably hook you up with everything you need, for cheaper.  I mean, really, the block is the right one, at least (you're better off than the 2Gs).  But remember, you're not just going to have to get the turbo and oil lines and whatnot, you'll also need an IC (sidemount, or front mount) etc etc.  Compile a list of eveyrthing you'll need (IC, ECU, injectors, pistons? etc) and then price things out.  Or just talk to Lowell.  He'll probably know what's goin' on.

Offline Ryan Lore

[b]Engine Swap[/b]
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 06:57:56 pm »
Clint,

Your car's pretty mint for a 92.....

I can understand why you'd want to keep it.

What you're asking for is a super big job and as much as I 'd like to say it'd be worth it. It's NOT!

Now that we've gone through the rational side of things here's reality....

If you were going to go to all this trouble I'd guess 6-7k easy after you pay someone to do it. Now you might find somebody who says they'll do it cheaper but you get what you pay for. Ask Lowell about some of the hack job swaps he's seen...

Keep in mind the motor and harness and everything else you're looking for is at least 12 yrs old assuming you want a 6 bolt, and that swapping it properly will take time and money.

Even if it were at Lowell's for a week straight it would still be a decent accomplishment to get it done in 5 days..

If it  were me, I'd do it..
But then again it's a hobby and I have 2 cars and am prepared to be without if that's the case...

I have waaay tooo much fun with my car and I think I like working on it as much as I like driving it.

Offline John Hartman

[b]Engine Swap[/b]
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 09:37:09 pm »
If you need a stock fuel pump and injectors gimme a shout.  I will have both for ya soon.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Cam Lander

[b]Engine Swap[/b]
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 09:47:00 pm »
Yeah man you are looking at like 3000 bucks for parts 2000, if you can find a lot of the parts used which you should. But I say if you know what you are doing and your car is mint then do it. But if you have to pay someone to install the turbo and everything then I say sell your car and buy a Talon/eclipse that is turbo.

Just my advice.

Cam