Author Topic: "Sprocket Walk" / Timing Belt.  (Read 921 times)

Anonymous

"Sprocket Walk" / Timing Belt.
« on: August 20, 2003, 08:30:22 pm »
First off...  :evil:

Long story short - whirring noise that later becomes a tapping noise accompanied by an oil leak under timing belt cover = oil pump sprocket didn't want to play nicely with the engine, and decided to walk away from it.

The lower timing belt cover was chewed up by the oil pump sprocket, the crank pully was filed lightly on the inner edge, the oil pump sprocket nut was embedded in the timing belt cover, the oil pump oil seal leaked, the timing belt and the whole front of the engine were covered in oil. The timing belt, being thrown off its normal track, was chewed up on the inner edge, and had a groove worn into the teeth from the inner edge of the oil pump sprocket (now .25cm away from the engine) grinding into it.

The theory: It appears that the keyway in the oil pump sprocket became ever so slightly rounded as to allow a very small amount of play, this play in turn gradually worked through vibrations to liberate the nut from it. The amount of play in the keyway is quite small, probably about one eighth of one tooth's worth of rotation.

Possibly also contributing could be contact between the nut and the TB cover, as the sprocket rotates clockwise, the nut would have counterclockwise force on it if it was rubbing against the cover, though I suspect this was more at play after it was initially broken free (and thereby made contact with the cover - which of course it shouldn't normally be touching).

The bad news: I get to do another t-belt change after only 20 000km

The good news: The belt didn't skip/jump/break. I have 4 happy pistons and 16 happy valves.

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 08:37:38 pm »
I'd take that horse-shoe out of your ass, pamper it, thank it, say sweet things to it and then promptly shove it back in there.

Bummer you have to do another belt job, but be damn thankfull she didn't unleash hell on your valves.  Hell hath no fury like a woman scored.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 11:06:57 pm »
how long does it take to do a t-belt job?
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Vlad Ilushin

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 01:15:17 am »
Depends.

3-4 hours if you know what you are doing and there are no surprises.

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 06:00:13 am »
I would like to do mine, but I just dont have $850 to have Lowell do the whole shabam, and if I can do it myself, it would be nice to get some hands on, maybe do the balance shaft belt at the same time.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Aaron Franzen

skipping teeth
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 10:03:11 am »
well my talon skipped 7 teeth the first time and 3 the second time so I have very unhappy valves and pistons thanks to Fountain Tire. Well it's all good because I'm getting $1500 worth of work for free from Fountain Tire who  is paying L&R racing to do it rite because Fountain Tire doesn't know how to work on this new technology called CARS.

new gasket, 16 valves, stem seals, and re/recylindering

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 11:46:20 am »
According to NASCAR, a car is only a car if has something called "push-rods".    I really don't know what they are, but they must be very new and very special to be in America's #1 racing series.

It takes the highest technology the automotive industry can muster to produce cars that drive in a left handed circle for hours.......   obviously this is something that a DOHC engine can't do....  :roll:

NASCAR is doomed,  average viewers age is 47, and rising......  :shock:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8