Author Topic: intermittant 2 cylinder misfire,91 Tsi  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Nathan Craft

intermittant 2 cylinder misfire,91 Tsi
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:24:58 am »
mine's pooched,no spark for cyl. 2&3. if anyone's parting out or has a spare that'd be great.
thanks,
Nate
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Jordan Kruger

Re: WTB: coil pack for '91 Tsi
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:44 am »
Sounds more like your power transistor. those are the 2 cylinders effected if the transistor fails.  try that first.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
I agree, try that.

The transistor packs can fail but the coil packs are pretty robust.

Also it could be the ECU as well.

Oh and just to be technically correct, make sure you test your wires and plugs.  IE, run the 1and 4 wires off terminals 2 and 3 and see if they spark.  And try the plugs in the same way.

Also look at the plug in connectors for the coil pack and power transitor too as if they are green and corroded theres your problem.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »
I agree, try that.

The transistor packs can fail but the coil packs are pretty robust.

Also it could be the ECU as well.

Oh and just to be technically correct, make sure you test your wires and plugs.  IE, run the 1and 4 wires off terminals 2 and 3 and see if they spark.  And try the plugs in the same way.

Also look at the plug in connectors for the coil pack and power transitor too as if they are green and corroded theres your problem.
any idea if you guys have a pic of that?
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:44 pm »
a pic of what?  My quoted text deals with a number of items.  :)

if you are referring to the corrosion in a connector, it will be really obvious.  Unplug the device and look at the terminal pins inside the connector both on the part and the wiring harness end.  If the pins are clean and shiny, they are fine.  If they are rusty, dirty, corroded, green etc, they need to be cleaned up individually and then the terminal blown out with air and then some anti-rust spray squirted in the terminal.  WD40 works.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:45:45 pm »
lol Sorry was in a bit of a rush  ::) Should have been more detailed. The transistor pack, just to see what unit that is. I dont have my shop manual downloaded to my work comp. yet, so I really cant say. but i'll go swap out the wires for 1-4 & 2-3.
The weird this is that it will run normally for a minute or two, then crap out on me. so I'm kinda hoping that is is just a bad connection.

thanks again guys
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »
Its a 2 bolt black connector that has 5-7 pins and its located close to the coil packs.     google 1g dsm power transistor.   tons of pics and write ups.

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:14:56 pm »
Checked the transistor pack, everything seems good there. But while I was rootin in there I noticed a small plug with three wires just above the transistor, and one of the wires is hangin on with a single strand. When I disconnect said plug, the engine just dies. But fiddling with it and trying to get a decent connection seems to shortly fix the issue. I'm going in on my day off tomorrow to fix the wire regardless, but I have to pull the fuel rail to do so properly, could this connection be my issue? And what plug is that for? Again it is just above the transistor, and runs under the fuel ral somewhere.

Thanks
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 07:18:39 pm »
Ide be willing to go out on a limb and say that is your problem. If the wire has anything to do with power to coils or transistor it will definitely effect the way it runs.  If the voltage is pulsating through a weak connection than it will effect your spark greatly. 

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »
Well I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I've been trying to figure this out for almost a month of and on. if it turns out that it's just a single wire, I'm gunna be pissed. Happy it's an easy fix, but pissed.

Also mods, can this thread be moved to the garage? Don't want to be a bother, but it would make more use over there :)
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:15 pm »
that 3 wire plug is for the coil pack, so yea, that will be the culprit.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »
yeah... three wires on the coil pack... theres one ground... and the other two controll each coil pack.  One fires 1&4 and another fires 2&3.. if one of those wire is barely holding on and making a intermitant connection it will definalty cause problems.

The connector will be a triangle shape for a 91-94 and on a 1990 (which u dont have) it will be a 4 wire square plug.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Nathan Craft

Re: intermittant 2 cylinder misfire,91 Tsi
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »
So I have the coil pack pulled off. only have one thing to say.. CAN THEY MAKE IT ANY HARDER TO GET TOO?!? lol but really it's dumb. the wire is now disconnected due to pulling on it, and just waiting on the wreckers to call me back and tell me if they can get another harness plug down to me here. if not i'll just make my own harness.
i'll be adding pics when i get home. :)
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:53 pm »
you can probably cut a harness off another car and solder/shrink wrap those connections, just make em good and strong.

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:50 pm »
well, fixed the harness up, but still no spark, ordered new plug wires. see if that helps.. if not, i guess next step would be the coil pack... getting kinda stumped here..
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion