Author Topic: intermittant 2 cylinder misfire,91 Tsi  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Jason Harwood

Re: intermittant 2 cylinder misfire,91 Tsi
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »
If the transistor module was bad, you'd have more missfires than 1 cylinder.
The Coil Pack could be faulty.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:05:09 pm »
Well, tossed in the new plug wires, wham bam thank you ma'am  8) lol. she's running good sofar. still idles a little high for my liking, but i'll live with it for a day or so. took a D-plate out and god i miss boost ;D. next up is the head-gasket and timing belt.. that i'm not looking forward too, but all in time  ;)
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »
well.. for some reason the issue is back.. but when I disconnect the battery and basically reset the ECU, the issue goes away for a bit and then comes back.. any ideas?
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:24 pm »
Ecu??? Did u try a diff one?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 07:34:13 am »
i'm starting to think that might be the case..  i need to get this thing figured out, but dont know if anyone is close enough to let me borrow one. and really cant afford to just buy one right now. I have to move to kelowna at the end of the month and i may just end up leaving the tsi here..
but i'll see what i can find

**update**
looked at the ecu again.. Nothing wrong.. Also took a test light to the coil signal wire, getting a good signal, so I'm going to re-wire the coil and swap the coils to see if I can rule out a bad coil.. I think that's my issue
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:37:02 am by Nathan Craft »
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »
anyone in kelowna have a coil pack i can buy off them real cheap for a 91 Tsi? will be there all weekend. or if anyone knows a pick and pull that has one. ty!
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 01:23:33 pm »
Cam Angle Sensor too
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
How would I go about testing my transistor pack and cas? And I thought that if ur cas goes, you hve total loss of spark?
we basically just totally ruled out the coils being bad. we swaped leads/wires. and we used a test light to moniter signal. there is proper pulse with 1/4 but 2/3 was constant.. but as we had the test light on ir randomly came back on and started running properly.. so we (myself and our hybrid tech) are thinking brett's right. ECU. he said it wouldn't be the transistor because it IS intermittent. either a faulty wire or ecu.
any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:00:04 pm by Nathan Craft »
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »
no.  If your CAS goes, you may not have total loss of spark. You cant really test the CAS. You just have to try with a known god one.
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »
that's kinda brutal.. might as well try and find one i guess..
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »
same shit happened to me and after swapping the coil pack, spark plugs, wires, power transistor, swapping the ERCU and checking the fuel pressure and compression, it was the CAS all along.
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 03:54:18 pm »
I had a CAS issue once, and I was successfully able to repair it.

Take it off the car(mark where it goes), and then when its out mark where the moving parts that interface with the intake cam go so you can put it back correctly.

Then, with some needle nose vice grips or something similar, unscrew the cover.  The screws are one way only by design, but you can get them out.

Then look inside, you will see an optical switch.  There is a ring with square holes in it, and a small part with a wee little lense.  The lense sends light out and when its blocked by the metal ring, it can't get that signal thru.  When its not blocked(a hole is there), the light beam can get back across to the other side of the sensor.

Mine was just dirty and cruddy.  I cleaned it with brake cleans, a toothbrush and some care.  Then I put it back togeather.  All has been well for about 5 years now.

Its definately worth a try, as if you are going to swap it you have to pull it anyways.

Oh, put the engine to TDC, then the marks on the CAS(internally) will already be lined up and you won't have to make new ones.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 05:01:04 pm »
pulled the cas.. holy it's dirty, and the little blue band kinda just fell off.. so needless to say i'm pullin a blacktop CAS from the looks of things. still wouldn't mind getting a hold of a working ECU tho..
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »
you should clean it up and try to open it.  If its cruddy in there, and the light lense thing is obstructed, you may have found your fix.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nathan Craft

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 06:04:05 pm »
will do when i get back into town, shop closes early on sat, and i'm headed to kelowna tonight for two days, so i'll try to hit up a pick and pull, see whati can find real cheap, but regardless yea i kinda wanna do it, clean it up, just to see :)
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion