Author Topic: Computer help?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Computer help?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 09:49:20 pm »
It's a Compaq Presario 5000 with socket 462 AMD processor.
The motherboard is a UWAVE, there is a pic of one below from Ebay. The video card is a Nvidia Vanta LT. The other one I've tried is an old Intel 740.
I took the motherboard completely out today, took off everthing down to the bare board just like the picture shows. All the caps, resistors, jumpers, and everthing else looks fine. I took out the CPU too. I removed the CMOS battery, left it out for half an hour while I got a new one. I dusted it all with CO2 and put it all back together very carefully. I tried it with just one stick of RAM, the AGP, and no cables, then I slowly connected more and more trying it in between. Same results at all stages :evil:
The CPU fan spins the cd drives power up, but there are no beeps, no picture and no floppy avtivity. :cry:

Offline John Hartman

Computer help?
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 10:02:06 pm »
did you try a working video card, memory stick and cpu?  If so, your mobo has gone the way of the dodo.  :(  Upside is that mobos are relatively cheap, as is a cpu or memory.  And even a used video card is not alot for one of the Vanta class or the i740.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Computer help?
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 10:09:47 pm »
Yeah the RAM and Video cards are all verified as working in my PC. I don't have any spare 462 processors around to test :?

Can a kid fooling with the hardware profile really kill the CPU or MB?

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
Computer help?
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2003, 10:53:43 pm »
Quote from: "Jeremy Clarke"

Can a kid fooling with the hardware profile really kill the CPU or MB?

No, but other things could cause it - like a static shock to a card, a dead card shorting the board, O/C attempts etc.

The problem now is to determine if it is the;
a - Power Supply (faulty atx lead)
b - Cooked CPU (heat or short or overvoltage mod by user)
c - Mainboard (dead circuit on board)

Of the 3, the CPU or mobo would be most likely, but not necesarily.
The UWAVE board is Amptron if I remember right, and is not great in performance or expansion
The PSU in the unit should be upgraded to 300w if you upgrade the cpu/mobo

Since the motherboard, ram and 1.2ghz cpu are from an older model line, and upgrade will most likely require replacement of all 3 - maybe even the psu too - you will be best to have it tested by a shop at this stage (I could test but you are pretty far from Van)
Make sure that it is out of warranty - they may have got 3years at the time and it sounds like 2 years old
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Andrew Scott

Computer help?
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 11:28:40 pm »
I'd say there's a good chance your motherboard is toast. I go through motherboards and power supplies like pairs of underwear
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Andrew Scott

Computer help?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2003, 11:30:50 pm »
oh, and if the kid tried to overclock it, you could fry the CPU.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Computer help?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2003, 01:58:59 pm »
ROFL, by kid I am meaning 4 years old. I don't think he is overclocking yet, :laugh: They do have a 2-year old also who I have found out had an liking for pushing the reset button over an over again :roll: So yeah I guess lots of things could be toast. I'm gonna get it into a shop to find out.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Computer help?
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 12:40:30 pm »
So, I took the junker to a shop for $25 and it turns out the motherboard is FUBAR. They will sell me a new one for $90 (and want $75 for the five minute install ROFL, like hell!) I can probably get an Ebay one cheaper but before I do I figured I'd ask you Uber computer guys if you happen to have any Micro-ATX boards around? They need to take PC-133 SDRAM and slot A AMD though cause I'm not willing to upgrade to DDR and new processor.