Author Topic: Your Comments Please on these "Air Struts"  (Read 504 times)

Offline Ryan Cheung

• http://www.members.asianavenue.com/veilz
Your Comments Please on these "Air Struts"
« on: September 21, 2004, 07:50:12 pm »
I came across Air Struts from Air Ride Technologies not too long ago while surfing through the net...

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airstrut.asp

The claims are, "The AirStrut™ offers valving adjustment at the top of the strut stem... under the hood where it is accessible, not under the car. This valving adjustment means that you can choose soft for ride quality and cruising, all the way to full firm for autocrossing and ultimate handling performance.

The AirStrut™ is typically set up to deliver a 2" drop at ride height and up to 4" when deflated for parking lot profiling. Now there is no need to endure the harsh ride quality of lowered coils or air cylinders... or to cut up your car just to get it low. Bolt on the AirStrut™ and GO!"

I am interested in them bc they say 2" lower + no need to endure harsh ride quality...

Has anyone tried this product before or know of other people who have?? It's not the same as Air Bags by the way.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 08:34:01 pm »
Makes sense, instead of having compressed springs, you get a lowered car with air-ride so the ride is nice and smooth, and you can adjust the psi in the shock so it can be stiffer or softer. Theoretically it seems like it'll work, but then again for my car it seems like my bags are really holding me back, even when I do run high psi in them at the track.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:18:35 pm »
i've dealt with air suspensions for the past 8 years on my truck, and i dont believe there is such thing as a "nice and smooth" ride. The only way you'll get a decent ride out of it, is if the completly deflated height is only 2 or so inches less than drive height, cause the lower it goes, the more air pressure it takes to get it back up, if you want something to get u really low, dont expect a good ride out of it. Bags will ride better than cylinders cause there is more air volume to compress a bit, the bigger the bag, the better the ride , the less air pressure it takes to get it up, but bigger bags are too hard to fit in a strut suspension, thats why most people usually go with cylinders. Talking bout this makes me miss driving my truck, gotta get it back on the road  :D

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:04:55 am »
Thats some awesome camber! You could do some 2-wheeled driving, and still have a full contact patch!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Mike Meron

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 07:05:41 am »
its official you have graduated from fucking new guy dsm'er to fast dsm'er (in light of the 12.9) to PIMP.... way to go man!.

Offline Leon Hui

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 12:31:06 am »
what's bags and air cylinderes?

When you say the air ride defalte inflate, that means the length of the shock can be extended and retracted like JIC or the highend TEIN coilovers?
Got BoOsT?