Author Topic: It's broken  (Read 1704 times)

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« on: November 23, 2003, 09:02:28 pm »
Finally found some time to check out what killed my car. The top timing marks line up but the lower at the crankshaft sprocket doesn't... :puppy: and i've got 0 compression straight across. I'm just praying it's only bent valves, if not I'll have to consider a 6 bolt swap.

Offline Michael Cummings

It's broken
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 09:43:09 pm »
dude that really sucks the huge one eh....crappy
hope you get it all fixed up
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Wade Carlson

It's broken
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 09:54:00 pm »
you might not even have bent valves

mine jumped 3 at the crank and i didn't bend any

just pop te valve cover and see if any of the rockers are knocked off then u will know for sire
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline Mike Schmid

It's broken
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 11:17:49 pm »
I'm a mainland guy, hopefully I'm allowed to post in here...  :wink:

But I doubt anything is wrong with the bottom end.  I'd count on needing 16 new valves, especially if it got cranked enough to do a compression test after it died.  But valves are pretty wimpy, and pistons and rods are pretty buff.  The most bottom end damage I've ever heard of is dings in the pistons which is no big deal.  At most maybe bring the piston up to TDC and sand off the sharp edge of the ding being very careful to mind the bore and deck.  This will prevent any detonation hot spot cause we all know sharp edges and points in the combustion chamber are like voodoo rituals to call upon the evil demon of detonation.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 03:09:40 am »
well I had a friend come over to give me a hand and we pulled off the valve cover....we are beginners, but everything looked pretty damn mint(nothing appeared to be knocked out of place like the rockers). So on with the tear down job we went....we should finish getting the head off tommorow and see what we find.

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
It's broken
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 03:17:40 am »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
I'm a mainland guy, hopefully I'm allowed to post in here...  :wink:

Yous needs to sit at the back of the bus when you comes up in here yo! *lol*

Sucks to be you Emil! Now I really think you paid too much. :cry:
If you want any help tinkering with it after Wed gimme a holla (PM)

BTW did they make you a mod on the island RS forum or is that sombody else? There's a job I wouldn't want. That shit should come with a salary :wink:

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 08:12:21 am »
Well i expected at minimum to fix the valves when i bought the car so i took that into consideration.....so i feel i got the car for a price that was comparable to similar ones for sale.....
  Turns out my battery was shot too (what timing was that)....,but i took it to Canadian Tire to get tested then the person said since i didn't have a receipt they could not give me full warrenty on it, so they ended up giving me the $85 battery for $43....it was a pleasant surprise since i never actually purchased the thing  :laugh:

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 08:22:42 am »
Oh and as for the Rs moderator thing, ya that's me.... one of the old mods wasn't on enough so they needed a replacement so Russ asked me to do it so i said sure....its not like anyone really ever posts in north island chat anyways  :laugh:  
I think i surf this forum more since the talk is less chit chat or if it is, it's put in the right place and more people seem to have more technical knowledge (i guess the site is more directed towards out car :wink:

Offline Wade Carlson

It's broken
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 04:59:27 pm »
if all the rockers are still on and such
your valves should be ok
no promises but i doubt u could bend a valve without knockin the rocker off
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline Matt Demick

It's broken
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 06:36:16 pm »
Hehehe welcome to the blown head club. Happend to me after 2 weeks of owning my Talon  :( . oh well it was good experience doing it all myself, including my timeing. hehehe hasn't blown up yet! :D
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Eric McIntyre

It's broken
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 11:30:28 pm »
how i picked mine up for 500 bucks!  these cars need love!.....i'm gonna give it to mine in the form of a nice big present on its exhaust manifold!
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 09:21:54 pm »
Well I when i pulled the valve cover off everything looked ok, after working on the car today I gave the rockers a jiggle and 6 of them are pretty loose(one of them actually fell over)....

Offline Eric McIntyre

It's broken
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 09:59:37 pm »
let us know how it goes once you get the head pulled! hopefully everythings decent :?
to bad i'm not starting my turbo rebuild this weekend, or i woulda had a head for ya! i hate waiting!
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Emil_Bock

It's broken
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 12:17:02 am »
Well we got the head off tonight....all the intake valves are bent and they hit the pistons.... :cry: