Author Topic: Front mount with modified 2GB Talon bumper, in progress.  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Carl Gould

Re: Front mount with modified 2GB Talon bumper, in progress.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 09:13:59 am »
I'm going to have some shaping to do, this repair adhesive will be able to build up and be sanded down to shape?

Sounds interesting. I also will have some decent size gaps to fill in, that I was planning on using bondo glass for, Can I use the repair adhesive for this?

Yep, you can build up the adhesive a bit and shape it out. The problem with body filler and fiberglass filler is they have  no flex to them and they don't have very good adhesion to the plastic. I've seen bumpers that have been "fixed" with it before break after just a light hit, whereas the plastic repair adhesive and putty will flex.
97 TSi AWD - Winter 2010 Will-it-ever-be-finished Project

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 08:33:42 pm »
2009 project back on the go.

Finally working on the Talon again. I really hope I can get it all done this time without getting torn away by something. After doing some more reading I figured fibreglass wouldn't be the best choice because of the mix of stiff fibreglass and flexible polyurethane. Thanks for the advice Carl.

After many hours trimming, sanding, making templates, heating and bending I glued in new plastic pieces with some plastic bumper repair glue. Strong stuff, kinda like crazy glue but with an activating spray. Then I re-enforced the joint on the back with flexible bumper repair epoxy and re-enforcing mat. Seems to be pretty solid, I've bent it all around and everything holds well.

You can see an area near the passenger headlight where it was previously repaired, looks to be done well though. The pieces of plastic that I filled in the sides with are actually from a wrecked Honda bumper that I got from an autobody place for free. I couldn't find any polyurethane but the Honda bumper is polypropylene and it's close enough for flexibility. I guess I might lose a bit of power from the bits of Honda on my car, but hopefully I'll gain some reliability.

Did some sculpting with a rasp and have now starting sanding it all down. I still don't know yet if I'll take it somewhere or just try to paint myself, we'll see. No filler on the front yet other than the previously done repair. I'm pretty happy with how I got all the joints to line up, it's all pretty tight.

Unrelated to this, I'm also working on my SMIC location air intake. Had trouble finding a 2.75" - 4" straight coupler for my turbo inlet, but somehow I stumbled upon something even more perfect. Found a 2.75" - 4" 45 degree bend coupler. Still in the mail but I think it'll work great.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 08:42:46 pm by Jesse Veitch »
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »
That looks awesome dude!     that will look mean when its on the car!
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:43 am »
Thanks Jordan.

As far as the FMIC fitment, it wasn't that great I suppose. Everything is fine now but I had to cut the outlet off the driver's side of the IC cause it was too long. The Pass side was too short, so I welded on the piece I cut off from the driver's side and it fit great. I didn't use the 90 elbow in the kit cause I already welded one on to my turbo, but it looked a little big, like it would get pretty close to the ground. Also the pipe going from the turbo to the IC inlet on driver's side was too long, so I also had to cut it down and put a new bead on the end.
97 TSi AWD

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »
You're working on it again! 'Bout time! Nice work on the bumper. When you get it painted, make sure they don't bake it at too high a temperature. That's often when the repairs/mods you've done will fail.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »
That\s some sic work.   8) 8) 8)  If you ever sell the car, have a back up bumper so you can take this one off again and keep it!
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »
goood work!! good to see some time put into this .. most guys just sawzaw that section out , cant wait to see that finished work on the car !

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »
Thanks Travis and Bryan. I'll never be selling this car though! This year is my 10th year owning a DSM.

Been busy but I'm back to work on the Talon again. I got my two 4" 45 degree bends in the mail for my intake. I built a cardboard mock-up of the filter I want, the AMSOIL EaAU4091, it's the biggest one they make, 9.5"x6.75" on top, 9"x5.5" on the bottom, and 9" long. That's why I build the mock-up, to make sure it would fit in the SMIC location. It just barely fits, very close. The offset flange is what allows it to work. I then cut the 4" hole to go down in to the SMIC location.

Now I need to find a way to get a 4" inlet on my stock MAF. That's the reason I bought two 4" bends, to make two intakes. One will use the stock MAF for getting a baseline tune, then the other will have no MAF for use with speed density. I can find lots of 3" inlet converters on ebay, but no 4". I might just end up making a duct tape coupler from my K&N FIPK to the 4" pipe if I can't fine anything, since it's only temporary anyway.

Edit: Somehow I missed your post before Cam. I think I've decided to paint it myself so it won't be getting baked, other than by the hot sun, which has already done as much as it could. Bumper has been sitting outside in the sun all summer while sanded mostly flat black, gets too hot to touch, and no issues. I'm pretty impressed with this plastic repair stuff. I kinda figured it might be a bust and I'd have to invest in a plastic welder, so far so good though.

I put the first coat of filler on the bumper yesterday, skim coated pretty much the whole thing cause of the rough shape of it. Lots of sanding to do now.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:52:42 pm by Jesse Veitch »
97 TSi AWD

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 07:23:07 pm »
Got my intakes done, other than polishing up the SD intake, not going to bother with the MAF one since it's only temporary to get my VE maps dialed in. I made some custom vacuum nipples for them too. AMSOIL filter is taped up to protect it while I was fitting things up. Can see my mock cardboard filter I made to make sure this monster would fit.

97 TSi AWD

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 05:03:22 pm »
The duct tape around the filter MIGHT cause a bit of a restriction. On the plus side tho at least the filter won't get dirty!!

HA!   :D ;)    ;D
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »
No he must have an issue with "to much power " the duct tape is obviously the best fix for this problem there are acouple people on this forum that could find this trick helpful ... ;D

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
I made 30awhp by adding that style intake onto my turbo.   And thats on a dyno!   
Nice work.   That intake will get the job done.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »
How's the bumper coming along? Been looking forward to see the end product.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation