Author Topic: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated Aug 2013*  (Read 13881 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated July 2013*
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 11:36:18 am »
unfortunately, I heard that when you were driving beside us.  :(  That is what I was talking about with the "hand to my ear" signals.

boooo.....

oh and as for the engine, no need to "build" it per se, especially if Brendan is being cheap  ;)

in frame it, or put in a known good engine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2013, 12:34:39 am »
yeah, that engine had bad lifter tick in it from day one.   it wasn't till the night before the dyno where I heard a bit of a weird noise from the bottom end ish area.

Im going to be pullin the pan soon, and see whats going on in there,
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2013, 10:26:55 am »
just put in new connecting rod bearings.  haha   
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:23 am »
well i gotta measure the crank, see if its even savable, then size the bearings (who knows if the clearances were ever correct, owner of the car did not want to do dissasembly/inspection on the used motor....

im hoping for the best, but i imagine the engine will have to come out again... and hopfully with a fully capable one next time..  blleeehhhh

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2013, 02:46:22 am »
Well heres a few pics of her before the rod knock.   crappy colt powa!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:49:12 am by Brett Haviland »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:16 am »
Dropped the oil pan tonight.  Found this.

so the bearing spun, squishing it out the sides of the rod.  There was a complete ring of bearing still surounding the crank journal.  A bit of a pain to get the rod end cap un-jammed from the crank..... 

Pulled the other 3 cylinders and the bearings looked in decent shape, so only cylinder #4 was affected.

The good bearings that i pulled out were marked STD and "clevite 77" so now i know which bearings were in there.   I plastigauged all the good leftover bearings and they all came to around .0018" clearance which is about right.  I then put a good bearing back into the rod that had the spun bearing and plastigauged that with a good bearing in there.  came out to around the same (.0019"ish)

surprizingly there is very little scoring to the crankshaft journal, nothing which i can really feel with my fingers.  I havnt polished the journal yet, but that will be the next stage, (polish affected journal with crocus cloth, clean off transfered bearing material to big and small end of rod, and recheck bearing clearances with new bearings (i think ill try either Altrom, Beck arnley or sealed power bearings instead of clevite 77 that the last engine rebuilder used with no success)

Ill also make sure to grab my micrometer/bore gauge and make sure the crank, and rod big end are true and round.

Other then that its throw it back together and hopefully the car can get some km's on here again.

Why the bearing failed like this???,  i do not know.  the clearances seem close (from initial testing)....  but maybe something was either assembled wrong, or missaligned... or the journal is out of round or tapered or something.

Ill keep this post updated and let u know how it goes.

Offline John Hartman

Re: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated Aug 2013*
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »
make sure its getting enough oil pressure.

my Clevites have been good for a few years now. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2013, 10:21:28 pm »
I love it when you can squash a DSM's attempted suicide and coax her back the living for a wee bit longer, especially when they have so much more to give.

Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
Lol...

Well I tried my best, but whoever installed the 2g pisons really did a number on this engine. When I put the new bearings in I noticed that #4 rod had no thrust play.  I then looked up into the bottom of the piston/wrist pin area and realized the wrist pin is not parrallel with the crank pin (with the rod/bearings torqued down.  Also noted that the rod is twisted as well,  the piston is off, and is rotated 5-10 degrees looking at it.   

Rod is bent and twisted.  I'd imagine from whoever did the machine work and pressed:heated the rods to get the wrist pins out.

A new 1g rod would fix it... But its not worth the time to take the head off, so brendan has made the decision to abondon all hope with this motor and build one right finally.   I will start the built engine in early 2014

I ended up still putting it back together and putting the pan on again.  Runs fine for now again, but with the rod binding its only a matter of time b4 the bearing heats up and tries to work its way out again.

RIP another shit 6 bolt.   Engine may still be rebuildable tho...it didn't die a catastrophic failure (8" hole in block) like the last 6 bolt.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2013, 07:24:25 am »
why dont you drop the crank out the bottom the way John did on his motor? won't need the head off that way.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2013, 08:18:02 am »
Drop the crank out the bottom?   I don't think that's possible without removing the trans, flywheel, rear main seal retainer, and also the front cover....  Even then the pistons/rods have to go back in though the top, the the head would have to come off.

Unless I'm missing something???

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:30 am »
That oil looks alittle too familliar , from the oil I pulled out of the 6bolt from 1g project : S same size of metal shavings , but I don't have a bearing that looks anywhere close to that bad ,or as much shavings as that , there was abunch stuck to the oil pickup screen : ( , looks like ill be replacing the whole short block :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:19:36 am by Bryan Hoytema »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2013, 07:23:56 pm »
I didn't take my crank out.  Brett is right.  the crank is attached to the flywheel, and thereby the clutch, and that's splined to the transmission  ;)  :)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:23 pm »
My bad. I thought you did take the crank out.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."