Author Topic: Crappy Black 89 Colt GT. *updated Aug 2013*  (Read 13880 times)

Offline John Hartman

Re: Some shots of my most recent project "Stock GT" lol
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »
BC cams are known to be vague and varied.  That could be one problem.

the other one is for sure that stock compressor outlet elbow.  Have you looked at that thing?   Crush bent 1" pipe?  Yea that flows lots eh?  :)

also, do a leak down on the engine.  If the leakdown is high, its just not gonna make tons of power.

PS, slicks mounted and balanced.  :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:03:53 pm »
Well it just ran a 12.6 @111 w/ 1.9 60'

With the slicks of course
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:24 pm »
about right I would guess for that power.

Still do the leakdown and replace that outlet pipe.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 01:49:41 am »
Well after Brendan (owner) pulled another 12 second timeslip (12.7 @ 109mph) that was it.  the track got shut down right after.

All in all it was a good night and the slicks did there job once we put 15 psi back into them (at 12 psi they were wheel hopping HORRIBLY)
 Best runs of a 12.6 @ 111mph w/ 1.966 60' and a 12.7 @ 109 w/ 1.98 60'

before going home i thought i would pull the plugs out to check for knock damage or whatever as we had been getting some MAJOR (42 counts) in the very top end of 4th gear.  (6000RPM +)

#3 cylinder's spark plug electode was melted almost completely away.. surprizingly enough the car still ran a 12.7 only minutes before this and still ran completely normal

well anyways every other cylinder's plugs looked perfect.  So i gazed down the hole and discovered something i had never seen before.

There was SOOOOOO much carbon/oil build up on the piston top that the carbon has built up so much that it was actually forming a ring around the spark plug hole ontop of the piston.  There must have been like at least a few mm's of carbon sitting on the piston top.  (previous history of this cylinder was that it was left outside in the rain for 2 years with no spark plug in #3.  The rings were rusted/siezed up and the engine wouldn't even turn over when i got it... anyways it seemed to run good.. but the power numbers were low.  This might explain why.

Anyways, I threw a new plug in there just to make sure.. and we drove it home.. car still drove perfect.. ran perfect and pulled like a banshee.

Looks like its rebuild/replacement time for the 4g63 tho.  I dont think seafoam is going to help this bad boy.  I have never seen so much carbon on 1 piston before to be able to press up against the spark plug hole :O

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:00:48 am »
let some MCCC or GM Cleenz sit on the piston top overnite, then do a water mist session.  Repeat a few times.

I bet it will clean up after a few times.

Thats where the knock is coming from.

Oh and straight methanol injection won't steam clean the cylinders like water will, so you have to manually do it.

Or MCCC the cylinder and then empty your methanol tank and fill it with straight water, then turn your switch down to like 1-2 psi, then just drive on purpose to try to turn it on for long periods of time, like up the back Promontory hill, repeatedly.  Just hold the throttle so that you have 3-4 psi but no more. The hill will allow the load without having to accelerate.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 12:23:24 pm »

There's the pic

Also the porceline insulator part inside the plug was cracked and the piece was hanging around just waiting to fall into the cumbustion chamber. Good thing I caught it time

Hoping the little tiny piece of metal that came off the electrode didn't find its way into the turbine.  Those HTA68's are not cheap

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:10:36 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 01:17:56 pm »
more pics from this weekend

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:12:20 pm by Brett Haviland »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
Brendans liscence plate is perfect!!  :)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »
hahah yeah he calls it the "Rez Rocket"  hahah

Offline GlenMartin

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 01:30:31 pm »
knock knock knocking on heavens door.....ah the world of knock. welcome.
ahah we both have a good side. lets sue each other!

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 09:44:33 pm »
Tonight it did a 12.5 @114 mph w/ 2.0 60'

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 02:17:41 am »
Car is being prepped for a new race season... New mods and fixed on her... still running the same old tires engine tho...

Hoping for some more power out of her with more boost and a good tune...  Might also go pre-turbo meth as well.

Also hopefully finding some bigger diameter slicks to get the gear ratios in a better spot for the added power.  She was almost redlining across the line in 4th gear last year running the 12.5.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11:39 am »
Sheeeessssss Backkkkkkkkkkkk....

still running the same old motor... shes still hangin in there...

new mods for this year

-Apexi AVC-R (ditched the MBC)
-Blitz SSQV II BOV (ditched the leaking 1g crushed)
-14" puller rad fan, 12' pusher
-Better ducting to FMIC and rad
-28-30 psi of boost (HTA68
-3" Electric cutout
-1500 cc/min of meth

Hoping for 11's!!

the boost by gear with the AVC-R is nice for the fwd.

Hope to get it to the track in the nxt couple weeks.  with street tires at 27.5 psi right now its breaking the tires loose in 4th gear.  Not really street tunable anymore.  Off to the dyno she goes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:25:01 am by Brett Haviland »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated sept 2011*
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 12:49:50 am »
Heres some pics!

Apexi AVC-R EBC (wow!! what a unit!  Boost by gear is really good for traction problem FWD!

Cold Air Intake mounted infront of pass. tire.  I made a custom "shield" to keep rain/rocks/dirt from flying off the tire and into the air filter.  There was nothing there from stock...

3" Race Ready Electric cutout (soooo awesome and soooooo loud  hahahaha) I noticed 2 psi of boost increase from 27psi - 29psi when its closed then open.

HKS SSQV II BOV. (ooohhh how sweet it sounds)

The heart of it all...... FP HTA 68  (this turbo is frickin AWESOME for a stock aprearing turbo.)

AEM UEGO, Greddy pyro, Apexi AVC-R, AEM Progressive methanol controller, cutout switch

LIGHTS!

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: Black 89 Colt GT. *updated sept 2011*
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »
Now give it some LSD!
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."