Author Topic: JDM valve cover project  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Jordan Kruger

JDM valve cover project
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:36 pm »
I got my hands on a JDM 4g63 valve cover.  So I decided to modify it with -10 a/n fittings and change its appearance a bit.
Since I started my build, ive been trying to make the engine bay a show piece. Ive got the cover all shaved except I wanted to keep the mitsu lettering and the logo.   Im even going to the extent to delete and weld in the spark plug cover holes and grind them flush.  I want the valve cover to be seamless.  And I never plan on running a cover, so i think it will look cool with no useless bolt holes. Infact, you wont even be able to tell where they were when im done.
Im redoing the two -10 fittings and laying down some cleaner welds around them (the guy that did it welded them on different angles and did a terrible job welding it).  So tomorrow im having everything cleaned up and re-welded. 
Once the valve cover is all polished to a mirror finish, im going to put a transparent gold on the lettering and logo. Should look great on my engine.  Heres how she sits.

337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline kevin derhouson

Re: JDM valve cover project
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »
should look pretty sick when its done :)
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Brandon Dietrich

• ....-Dude i almost had u
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:39:12 pm »
Can't wait to see the finished product
Copyright and trademark of Ricky Bobby Inc -_-<br /><br />------------------—---------------------------------------------<br />95 talon tsi awd - current<br />99 eclipse gst - sold<br />97 talon  bosted 420a - sold

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:59 pm »
I had the fittings straightened out. And in the process of welding, the oil contamination formed bubbles in parts, and even cracks in some places.  So my buddy did what he could, and Im doing some clean up now. BUT THE FITTINGS ARE DAMN STRAIGHT NOW!  haha
I used Durafix to repair the problem areas.  If you havent heard of it, check it out on youtube.  Its amazing stuff, and it works perfectly.
Im going to be posting a review for it on here, shortly.

Heres a progress pic. 

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »
if this is on a 1g, be carefull of the fittings hitting the hood.  I know zach holt ran a similar setup and it ended up with some nice dents in his hood cuz they hit.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:58 pm »
Yup, I hear ya.     Could I do the clearance test on a 1gb? 

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:22 am »
Ive been working on this thing for quite a few hours now. Trying to mold the fittings to the valve cover, for an almost oem appearance.
I had to build up the entire surface around the fittings with Durafix rods. They worked like a charm. Check out how smooth the transition is now!   Its taken a while but it will totally be worth it once everything is polished.

In filling the spark plug cover holes, I noticed that I cant grind them down flush as I had planned,  as the inner wall of the valve cover conforms to that bump thats at the bottom of the bolt holes.  So instead of making them flush,   Ive opted to turn them all into bullets!  haha
They will look awesome when they are all done. Still need to smooth areas out and sand them, but its coming along just great.

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »
Nice work, looks good. Durafix is amazing stuff.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
Welp,   Im about 15-20 solid hours of work with this valve cover, and plenty more to go.  haha

Heres a collection of most of the aluminum shavings that are a result of all my brazing and grinding and resurfacing!

Ive been able to spend more time shaping my deleted spark plug holes on the valve cover, and things are shaping up.  Im patting myself on the back this time around, because I normally dont have this type of patience. I guess the reward of doing your own work and getting things to look exactly how you want them is rewarding enough.  This valve cover is definitely be a one of a kind cover once its done.
Ive got some filling and minor detailing to do on the valve cover, then it'll be time to sand and buff. These Durafix rods sure take the headache out it.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:30:17 pm »
That looks great! Coming along.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
Progress pic! 26 hours into this cover, and im just starting to clean up around the spark plug area. My hands hurt, but I think this should look pretty good once its all polished up. Ill bet I have another 20 hours to go until I get it clear coated.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:04 am »
lookin good.  I like it!  looks like it means buisness
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.