Author Topic: *~My first Car (DSM) 1997 Eclipse GST Pictures~*  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Jesse Veitch

*~My first Car (DSM) 1997 Eclipse GST Pictures~*
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2004, 05:01:20 pm »
you could crash in neutral while coasting and get mangled and then when the cops got there and investigated the crash they might say it was cause you were in neutral and you'd be screwed even if it someone elses fault, prob not but ...icight make you take at least some liability so they can jack up 2 premiums
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Nathan Friess

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2004, 05:40:21 pm »
lol could always slam it into gear after the impact if your not too injured :P
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)

Offline Ricky Lim

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2004, 10:48:37 pm »
Quote from: "Fred Cheng"
Hey Ricky,

Nice buy!  Glad things have worked out so far.  I guess the speedo's in miles, eh?  Be careful you don't get caught speeding. ;)  What mods have you got planned?  Or still too early to think about that yet?   heheh.

Fred

Wow, I'm a 100% total newbie right hur. When I bought this car, I told myself that I shouldnt spend high $$ to mod this car and should keep it stock. It is fast and just as nice when its at stock.  I felt that I should spend the money on more important things in life. But then seeing this and dsmtuner forum, with eBay being online and, tuner magazines, I'm kinda itching on modifying it.  :shock:

I really have no idea where to start in terms of performance though. My car came with KN air filter kit and I'm going to clean it soon.  8) And do you guys think my ride is a bit high?  I'm thinking of lowering it; it will look that much hotter.  :twisted:

But that's all i'm planning to do now.  I have no idea what else to do in order to make my car go faster with more horsepower.  Please educate me. Oh it doesnt matter that my ride is auto eh?  I really didnt mind if my ride was stick or auto.  I would go with either one but this deal was too good to pass up. I aint planning to race but myabe just drag it on straight away so I'm sure auto is no big deal.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2004, 01:35:58 am »
Auto eh?  Kimyee's fast and he's auto.  Get someone with a fast modded DSM to take you for a ride and you'll be screwed for life, haha.  All your pay cheques from now and into the future will go straight under the hood.   :wink:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jess Atendido

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2004, 07:36:08 am »
first thing u should do is maintenance...from oil change to timing belt change**if it hasn't been changed**...then do a free mod  :) ...then boost guage ...dsmtuner has it all
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2004, 12:35:21 pm »
free mods are the shit
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Ricky Lim

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2004, 01:30:18 pm »
Quote from: "Jess Atendido"
first thing u should do is maintenance...from oil change to timing belt change**if it hasn't been changed**...then do a free mod  :) ...then boost guage ...dsmtuner has it all

Hmm I will do oil change in 1000 miles. My engine makes a clicking sound after I turn on the car and have it on idle. I was told to put ATF oil in during the oil change because its thicker and it will make it so that my lifters wont make sound. I was wondering what oil is the best for my Eclipse?  Which brand? Also recently the clicks are turning into a **squeak squeak squeak*. I heard it is normal, just moving parts under the hood but it would be nice to get rid of it. Here is the video/audio: http://members.shaw.ca/ptsilver/MVI_0872.AVI

What do you do in a free mod? What does the boost gauge, allow me to see how much boost I got or increase boost?

Thanks

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2004, 01:54:30 pm »
Don't put it in at the oil change.  You don't want to run ATF for the next 5000 kms or something.  You don't put ATF in because it's thicker either.  ATF performs a number of functions in an auto tranny and one of them is cleaning, ATF has a good detergent package in it and that's you want out of the ATF in your engine.  

If you're going to use ATF to clean the motor you generally put it in about 100 kms before the oil change and run it gentle.  That way if it affects the abilities of the oil to lubricate it won't be in long and if the junk it cleans out plugs up the filter it doesn't matter because the filter is getting changed right shortly.  As a bonus on the higher mileage engine you don't even need to worry about overfilling or anything beause you're probably low on oil anyways at that point.  Don't put in more than a litre or ATF.  

The ticking at startup is the lifters before they fill up with oil, it's normal.  You might be able to fix it by swapping in the newer style lifters but it's not cheap and IMHO not worth it if it only ticks at startup.  

As for free mods go to the specs/techs and reviews section and do some reading.  There's a thread about pre existing support.  Click on the links, read what you find and soak it all up.  The boost guage shows you how much boost you've got, autometer makes a good one.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Hans Ma

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2004, 04:43:39 pm »
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet car man! i love it!!!  (maybe cuz i got a red 97 GS-T too). :laugh: