Author Topic: More bad luck...  (Read 1140 times)

Offline CamWeiss

More bad luck...
« on: January 27, 2008, 04:40:21 am »
I had my car parked on Courtney st. in downtown Victoria for about three hours tonight. In that time, some bastard broke into it (Smashed the window) and took my radar detector and driving gloves, while leaving my stereo, & sattellite radio. It was then towed. It's a good thing the car was essentially empty inside - I had it cleaned out 'cuz I was autocrossing earlier today.

I've got Comprehensive on the car, though - It should hopefully cover anything and everything needed to get it back in proper order. Mabye I'll even coax a detail job out of them. Any ideas whether the detector, gloves, and anything else missing would be covered?

The morale of the story: If you see some lowlife prick wandering downtown victoria with a set of red w/ black leather palm RCI driving gloves.... Kick his ass.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:43:35 am by CamWeiss »
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Mike Schmid

Re: More bad luck...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:41 pm »
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they will cover anything that isn't permanently attatched.  Like bolted or screwed. 

Suction cup mounted radar detectors, GPS, that kind of thing, or CDs, bags, purses etc all falls under home insurance I believe. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Nelson Inacio

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »
Mike is correct. you are better off getting a window and installing it your self. You should be able to pick one up for less than your deductable.
92 tsi awd
91 tsi fwd 523,000kms R.I.P.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:54:54 pm »
I've decided to go through insurance - Between the tow bill and a window, it was going to cost me in the $250 range plus a few hours of my time for install.
For my $300 deductible, I'm getting a new window, and a proper install (plus mabye he'll screw with the window track so that it will go up and down consistently), and my tow bill covered.

I've paid out my fair share to have comprehensive on this car, I'm going to use it to the fullest extent I can, here.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Chuck Hatt

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:29:32 am »
Cam!

I finally got registered and was poking around and came across this post...that really sucks :'(

Chuck
Chuck
---
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
03 Ford Focus
---
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. - Steve McQueen

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:18:33 pm »
I feel for you dude, but thats not too bad.  A couple weeks ago I had my civic broken into with having a cd player, 4 speakers, tachometer stolen. And then on top of that they "attempted" to break into my talon parked next to it.  They were unsuccessful but managed to completely destroy both passenger and driver side door locks to the point where you cant even put a key into them SWEEEEET.   

That makes for 5 break ins in the past 2 years right in front of my house.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 08:30:31 pm »
Well, I got a cheque from ICBC today... It covered the tow bill, so it's a little help there.

Chuck.... Is it running yet? :D It'd be nice to go against you on a level playing field.
(Although I could have counted it as a weight savings for a while....)

And that just plain sucks, Michael. What a piss-off, to have both cars damaged. Any of it covered? I'm sure you'll have fun dealing with/yelling at ICBC.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Chuck Hatt

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:09:19 am »
Hope...it's not running yet!!!

Got the coolant leak fixed, took it for a drive and something that's belt driven decided it didn't want to play any more ???  I haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem yet. So for Saturday you'll be up against the blindingly fast...er I mean yellow Focus again. Maybe you can run faster than me this week  ;)

See you Saturday!

Cheers
Chuck
Chuck
---
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
03 Ford Focus
---
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. - Steve McQueen

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 07:07:21 pm »
Only if you're sporting the all seasons.

And bad luck apparently comes in three's. Laid off today due to lack of work. Yahoo!
(But I'm going to be smart and continue with the races this weekend, and go skiing to boot. I'll be damned if I'm going to end February with any more than a few pennies to my bank account.)

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV