Author Topic: stupid F******* cops.  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Re: stupid F******* cops.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:36 am »
You guys are actually wrong about the size of the exhaust issue. Back in 2001 or 2002...I was given a VI for mine. Mine's a GReddy PE, rated at 95db...and has a 4.5 inch tip. It was a bad kind of VI, the kind where they make you take off whatever the culprit is, and return it to stock. So no shit I was gonna fight it tooth and nail.

The cop actually pulled out the MVA and pointed it out to me exactly where it says something along the lines of "exhaust may not be opened or widened". I can't recall exactly how it was stated, but I remember the "opened or widened" part for sure.

My argument was that the MVA is stating that you may not "open or widen" the factory provided exhaust that the car comes with, tampering with it would make it illegal. BUT, it says nothing about replacing the entire exhaust system with an aftermarket one. So really, it's open to interpretation. Just depends who's reading it, and how they read it.

I feel shitty saying this...but I lucked out wit this VI. The cop who gave me the ticket and VI was killed a week later by a street racer. He never got the chance to enter me into the system for this VI...so it was forgotten. A buddy of mine is VPD, and he searched my plate and told me it came up clean, so I know for sure it's not in there. But he even said that it's open to interpretation.

So, you did kind of get lucky...because from her standpoint, she was right. She could have made you get rid of it if she really wanted to.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 08:23:17 pm »
Was that the cop that was t-boned and had his car almost cut in half by a asian guy street racing in a SiR civic hatch?

Crazy!!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 09:03:22 pm »
He never got the chance to enter me into the system for this VI...so it was forgotten. A buddy of mine is VPD, and he searched my plate and told me it came up clean, so I know for sure it's not in there. But he even said that it's open to interpretation.

I thought that too..... 2 years later I get it. and miss the FUCKING MEET
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:26 pm »
Was that the cop that was t-boned and had his car almost cut in half by a asian guy street racing in a SiR civic hatch?

Crazy!!

Yep, that's the one!

That's shitty Zach...I feel your pain.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 10:59:13 pm »
You guys are actually wrong about the size of the exhaust issue.

The size of the exhaust isn't what they look at, it's really the "volume" is what they go by. You can get excessive noise tickets if a cop deems the exhaust to be too loud.
A buddy of mine and member of this forum got a ticket for just that. He either had an exhaust leak or he was getting his exhaust done and was driving sans muffler and the cop gave him a ticky ticky
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:35 pm »
yea size does not matter. if thats the case the stock exhaust on a powerstroke diesel would be like illegal lol... i swear some of those diesel trucks with aftermarkter 5 inch exhausts have like 20 inch tips lol
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:22 am »
yea size does not matter. if thats the case the stock exhaust on a powerstroke diesel would be like illegal lol... i swear some of those diesel trucks with aftermarkter 5 inch exhausts have like 20 inch tips lol

Ive seen some turbo that was the size of a fucking basket ball in a powerstroke that was fully build by this guy at the shop I worked at. he had like 800+ rwhp with HUGE torq numbers. 6inch Exhoust like this only up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJDkGIzlxM&feature=related

like that shit only red!
Then google.
Then ask.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 11:47:18 am »
hope he put that big turbo on a 7.3L.  If it was a 6.0L then its going to go kabloomy pretty fast.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »
You guys are actually wrong about the size of the exhaust issue.

The size of the exhaust isn't what they look at, it's really the "volume" is what they go by. You can get excessive noise tickets if a cop deems the exhaust to be too loud.
A buddy of mine and member of this forum got a ticket for just that. He either had an exhaust leak or he was getting his exhaust done and was driving sans muffler and the cop gave him a ticky ticky

Great...but we're not talking about airflow. We are talking about what the MVA says in relation to the size of your exhaust, and how they interpret it when looking at your exhaust.
Where is says "may not be "opened or widened" they are talking about size, airflow is secondary to this.

I guess I should have been more clear.  ::)

When they read the opened or widened part, they could interpret that as someone taking pliers to their exhaust and opening/widening it...rendering it illegal.
OR
If you have an aftermarket one, they could say "Well you have a bigger exhaust on there, and therefore...you must have more airflow. Let's take a closer look and see if it's legal." (that's what happened to me.)

Here's my proof for all the haterade drinkers:
 :D :D :D

Vehicle noise
27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.
The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.
When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.

Table 3
[am. B.C. Reg. 656/76, s. 2.]
Class of Vehicle Maximum AllowableSound Pressure LevelDBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

More stuff from the MVAR. Note it says NO widening of exhaust outlet!!

Muffler
7.03 (1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler consisting of a series of pipes or chambers which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.
Cut-outs prohibited
(2) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine when the muffler with which the vehicle is equipped is cut out or disconnected from the engine.
Part removal prohibited
(3) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler from which has been removed any baffle plate or other part.
Alteration prohibited
(4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.
Noise increase or flames prohibited
(5) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler or exhaust system to which is attached any device which increases the noise of the expulsion of the gases from the engine or allows a flame to be emitted from the exhaust system.
[am. B.C. Reg. 29/59.]

Source:
http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20M%20--/Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20%20RSBC%201996%20%20c.%20318/05_Regulations/27_26_58%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20Regulations/26_58_04.xml
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:45:38 pm by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 12:36:19 pm »
When they read the opened or widened part, they could interpret that as someone taking pliers to their exhaust and opening/widening it...rendering it illegal.

LOL! Who the fuck would use pliers to open/widen their exhaust :D
Honda boyeees? hahaha.
Loved that
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 12:41:10 pm »
LOL, just trying to make a point.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 12:51:28 pm »
3inch outlet on the turbo 3inch full Exhoust. im safe ;)
Then google.
Then ask.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 08:17:45 am »
He never got the chance to enter me into the system for this VI...so it was forgotten. A buddy of mine is VPD, and he searched my plate and told me it came up clean, so I know for sure it's not in there. But he even said that it's open to interpretation.

I thought that too..... 2 years later I get it. and miss the FUCKING MEET

Well yea, when you dont insure your car, you don't know what fines are out standing until you actually try to re-insure the car its self.

And at your point, probably 2 years ago? was the last time it was fully insured?

Same thing happened to me when I went to re-insure my car a while back.

VI came up on the system still. But I got it like 1 year prior too.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Dan Silburn

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »
That makes me nervous because I havent switched the title (have the transfer papers) and I havent got it insured yet.