Author Topic: Mitsubishi over engineering at a glance: Evolution I  (Read 1532 times)

patrickWoo

Mitsubishi over engineering at a glance: Evolution I
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:42:23 am »
Unlike DSMs of the 90s, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is an amazingly over the top well appointed car. Here are just some pictures I randomly find online to prove my point:

leather wrapped shift knob, Momo appointed steering wheel, digital automatic climate control (which works awesome, I know I tried it today!) Power windows all around, power mirrors and even a power folding mirror standard on a car smaller than a Civic of the same era!
under the stereo is a 2 cup cupholder.....on a Lancer!?!?!

factory FMIC and oil cooler setup. Water sprayer in front of the intercooler under the plate

European spec comes with rear fog lights for the revenge light battle to a random tailgating a-hole. Also no "hand out of the window" silliness the only way to extend an antenna is using electricity. Rear wipers on a 4 door sedan is the only way to go for a rally car.

factory STB

that hole to the right side of the hood gives your intake a breath of fresh air whenever your mood takes you. Mitsubishi took the "intake box vs open filter element" argument and drilled a hole into it. Did you know that the hood was build entirely out of Aluminum? That might be normal now but think about how hard this was back in 1992!

how can you even say no to those? They are saying "come here, sit on my lap I'll love you long time"  ;D

ok I'm high on rockstar I just finished writing some programs so I'm kind of high. don't mind me I'm just drooling over my own car.  ;)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:50:37 am by patrickWoo »

Offline Matt Mann

Re: Mitsubishi over engineering at a glance: Evolution I
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:23:21 am »
I wouldn't mind an EVO like that...too bad its RHD. although the Skyline is too and its an EVO killer. All in all at the end of the day I would probably want an EVO in reference to gas prices.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

patrickWoo

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:30:30 pm »
I wouldn't mind an EVO like that...too bad its RHD. although the Skyline is too and its an EVO killer. All in all at the end of the day I would probably want an EVO in reference to gas prices.
It's the other way around. An EVO is a R32 killer. R32 is like a fat pig compared to the EVO that's light on its feet.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
My mistake lol.. Has anyone test drove the new Evo?
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:39:27 am »
My mistake lol.. Has anyone test drove the new Evo?

I havent test driven one, but have driven one into and out of the shop when I was at victoria mitsu for 3 days (suburban motors owns, suburban, mitsu and landrover, and there was no empty hoist at suburban for a few days so they sent me down to mitsu)  had to install a factory optioned chrome grill...sweet car it just felt fast, too bad I had no legit reason to road test it
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »
yep, old well maintained Evos FTW, IF YOU COULD GET LEFT HAND DRIVE!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

patrickWoo

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:45:48 pm »
what's wrong with RHD?!?!?!!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7OsHLelIyU&feature=related

Jackie Chan approves!  :D

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 09:08:42 pm »
Jackie Chan rocks big time.  And RHD is great in a country that everyone does it.  In fact its probably better all things considered, but over here its not  Just my opinion of course, lots of people do it.

And if someone gave me one, I would probably drive it too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 03:54:54 pm »
what's wrong with RHD?!?!?!!  :D

My personal opinion of RHD is that there is been a huge surge of them into Canada, and just looking at them as they drive past make me scratch my head. They just don't belong here. I would say that they are just a fad. Once you buy one after import costs, duty, they are not really worth it in my mind.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

patrickWoo

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:23 pm »
meh I imported 2.....and if I don't already own 2 cars I'd keep both....fast cheap cheap to run unique as hell properly engineered (none of our mickey mousery watered down crapola) why the hell not.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:13:37 pm »
true enough..what happens when you brake parts, are they easy to find? or do you have to buy from other car clubs?
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:28:32 pm »
nothing wrong withe car, in fact I agree.  My Galant and my Colt are both made in Japan, and you can see the quality in it over the DSMs.  Things fit better, they have features not seen over here unless you spend big bucks(speed sensitive wipers, colour change dash etc etc) or go newer.

Its just that rhd itself is not my favourite in a lhd country.  YOU might be fine, I might be ok with it, but with the proliferation of them out there now, in everything from minivans, to little trucks to big ass SUV's to sports cars, to regular sedans, you are getting a huge cross section of people driving them.  I would argue that most rhd cars on the road are not owned and driven by car people, but just regular soccer moms, office workers etc.  More blunders will happen.  Either when they first start driving the rhd car, or when they get comfortable with it, OR, probably when they take a lhd car out on the road and are just on auto pilot but forget to recalibrate said autopilot for the lhd car.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:08:28 am »
I was up island in Parksville in the summer and there was a used car lot that had 15 Mitu Vans (4x4 diesel toaster van things) and the price 13k-18K for one....Pretty pricey, but I do agree that they are not driven by car people. Up until the late 90's "japanese cars" were stereotyped as shit at least the ones here anyway. And now they are kicking the Domestic manufacturer market sales.

I would only consider the EVO or Skyline to drive, in the mass of RHD.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

patrickWoo

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:46:03 am »
yeah I see many funky Landcruisers just cruisin' like that up the road....Saw one with a little cute chinese girl at the wheel not knowing what she's supposed to do at the left......she looked so tense and stuff...

but automatic climate control air con and stuff can't be beat LOL.

Brake pads on a CD9A EVO = brake pads on a E39A Galant VR4 (same as my other E84A VR4 as well) so all parts share. rear brakes are trippy but the part number works in local dealers. suspension bits are direct swap from Dodge Colt or Mitsubishi Mirage. Again no issues there.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »
seems that you have done your homework then..good stuff man.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)