Author Topic: Don't you feel sorry for the people who take their car to the dealership?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Matt Mann

Look at this...Poor bastard

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/7981544

It is sad to see people doing this...someone should start their own business of rebuilding DSM..Could be successful.. 
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jason Harwood

Some people dont know what to do, so they trust the people who made the car.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Shane Sawatzki

hhahaha that makes my car worth 14 grand lol I should
Put mine on usednanaimo for 7 right now
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Matt Mann

where is the Karma?

1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jason Harwood

Ill put my 2G up for 15,000 after I rebuild the engine this spring.
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Matt Mann

I will sell mine for 50 cents, 1 2x4, and an old school mountain bike ;)

or perhaps $21,999..lol

Ill put my 2G up for 15,000 after I rebuild the engine this spring.

Well Jason yours is a 2G and they newer and have better value to the average consumer. Who was sold theirs for $35,000 (or was asking that) I think it was Robin Toor.. some guy in Edmonton bought that if I remember correctly..I would what happened to it.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jason Harwood

I got me a Jeep Cherokee right now as a DD until I get my eclipse all brand new feeling / looking again.

Then ill keep it, or sell it. Im not sure yet.

Ill prob sell the Jeep eventually.
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline CamWeiss

That is a very clean looking 1Ga. Too bad it's not AWD.

(I've got to admit, I'm thinking about getting a second car so I can take mine off the road and do some reconditioning. I've got a bit of a mk1 & 2 GTI bug right now.... that or an E30, or an old diesel Mercedes)
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

patrickWoo

It depends on what car you are talking about. I take my Mercedes down to the dealer every time. oil change is $95 all synthetic and the service is logged for life with Mercedes Canada and that ensures a proper resale value when I sell the car. Of course I keep all the paperwork as well.

Anything less then it's kind of pointless.

Offline John Hartman

Robins car was a bit more than the average bear.  It really was a cut above.  Slow as a molasses fart in Edmonton but very very perty...

as for the dealership thing, yea its a desperation play and/or a perception issue.

Dumb and misguided, but lead there by massive advertizing and hopes from times gone by.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dave Ingraham

Re: Don't you feel sorry for the people who take their car to the dealership?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:45 pm »
I'm sorry John I have to disagree with you alittle bit.  I work at a dealership and yes it cost alot more.  We don't have any fancy ads or sales to get you in the door.  I see people on a regular bases that have taken there car to joe's garage with a problem.  They spent a few bucks and unable to fix the problem. 
Then they try some other place and still unable to fix the problem. 

They bring it back to the dealership and we find and fix the problem.  Dealerships normally have better training and we work on only one product.  As a aftermarket shop you know alittle bit about alot of manufactures.  As I know alot about one manufacture.  I think dealer and the aftermarket both have there place.   

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:19:20 pm »
I worked at a dealership for 8 years, and at first I was a believer.  But then I saw the attitudes and the lack of respect and the blatant arrogance from management and other leadership rolled people.

Maybe your dealership is better, but mine at the end was far from good.

I do agree that not all smaller shops know thier shit, I have several examples of it in fact. 

The dealership route, if your service writer, your tower man and your tech are all good people and know wtf they are doing and the whole works is lead by a GM and service manager that give 2 shits about quality and morality, not just perception of such so that the public will come back thinking they are moral and quality minded, then you have a chance of having your car fixed correctly each time its taken there.  This does happen, but in my experience, its not the norm.

And in the case where its a wierd problem, not something that can be dealt with in a quick, practiced fashion, and requires some diagnosis and outside of the box thinking, the whole dealership structure tosses a monkeywrench in things, even for the best techs and staff.

you have to get your times all signed for by the foreman, at each half an hour peroid, (if you can find him) you have to clear things with the tower operator, you have to find a parts guy willing to work with you and you have to figure out a way to be able to get enough time in so you get payed.  Usually, only the last one gets done.

Why do you think I don't work at one any more?

You are right about the product specific information.  GM for example has all its latest updates and latest tech data all availiable,in real time and has all the courses offered right on site etc, along with (most of the time) the right tools.  This is greatly helpful.

That and the fact that most of the techs took the GM ASEP program for their apprenticeship and have been working on and owning GM products the whole time. 

I'm sure others have this as well, not just GM.

About having it fixed somewhere else and not being fixed?  I see that on a regular basis where I work too, and its usually really small half assed shops that do this, not well equipped ones.  Shops that will take in anything because they are either so arrogant that they have no respect for anyone elses skills or just so desperate to get the job that they figure they will muddle thru it somehow.  However, I have seen a couple of dealership screwups too. One was a Ford from nearly across the street too.  That must have been embarrassing, seeing your customers car towed into another shop just to drive out a few hours later  ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Dave Ingraham

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 09:30:18 am »
I'm not a believe in dealerships and yes management are total dicks.  All department don't work together and try to fuck each other over.  That part of the dealership sucks.  I agree with you there.  We don't have a shop Foreman as for getting extra time I just punch and write a story.  Sometimes I get paid. 

I guess the point I was trying to make was training.  I did take the ASEP program and its all right.  When we have a problem that is hard to solve we have tech support. I just call someone back east.  I don't know if you guys have someone to call.  Most of the fixes we do are program updates.  For stuff like battery draws and CD player wouldn't eject.  The latest GM fuck up is trans cooler lines on pickups.  They don't pay that bad.

I guess the dealership has it place and so does the aftermarket shops.  One thing I like about the after marker shops is there is no warranty time.  I would say about 75% of the stuff I work on has some kind of warranty on it.  Most people after there warranty is up they go somewhere else for there service. work.