Author Topic: The weirdest shit ever to happen to a Talon  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Chad Giffen

The weirdest shit ever to happen to a Talon
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:23:11 pm »
Well I've been fighting this annoying ass electrical problem for a while now.

I guess it started way back when....

1) I swapped in new battery terminals and one wasn't the right size....      now fixed.
2) My deck in my car will display "Error A0" which mean "Mechanical or Electrical Problem.
3) Sometimes my speakers cut out while driving
4) Recently my car sometimes barely turns over to start indicating a loose ground?
5) My window wipers will turn on by themselves sometimes during the first 5 min after start-up and bog the car down

The small accident I havent fixed has caused my right fog light to stop working. Whether there is bare wires because of it I have not checked

I did have ECU problems 2 years ago....    but fixed the ECU and am still using the same one (coming back to haunt me?)

So who has ideas....
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Ivan Skare

Re: The weirdest shit ever to happen to a Talon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:57:05 pm »
I'd check your grounds, any bare wire, and swap over the ecu from somebody.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:04:33 pm »
UPDATE:::

I was simply looking around the engine bay for loose grounds. couldnt find any....     but there is MASSIVE oxidation around the transmission mount. Even the trnamission itself is starting to oxidize into white powder.

Anyopne know what could cause something this extreme?

I mean its obviously electrical....    but damnnn....   
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:12:38 pm »
UPDATE:::

I was simply looking around the engine bay for loose grounds. couldnt find any....     but there is MASSIVE oxidation around the transmission mount. Even the trnamission itself is starting to oxidize into white powder.

Anyopne know what could cause something this extreme?

I mean its obviously electrical....    but damnnn....   

Leaking battery.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:25:52 pm »
Ivan was right!!!

Lifted the battery out and there was a huge pool of acid underneath.

Replaced the battery.

All seems fine.

For some reason my headlights dont work now....    usually only one side goes if its the bulbs....     checked the fuses...   they are good.

My car is beginning to annoy me. I hate electrical shit.
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:45:58 am »
pull the battery out again and mix up a big bowl of baking soda and water.  Get a paint brush(stiff one) and liberally clean and brush the baking soda mix all over the battery tray area.  Get it on the tranny too and any thing else that shows any sign of having the acid on it.  Get some on the battery terminals and any ground wires near it.  Take things off and apart to try to find any signs of this anywhere else too.

Really get lots of this around, it won't hurt anything else so don't worry.

Hose it down with the garden hose liberally after letting it soak for a bit.

Also headlights can both go at once, I have seen it at work several times.  Start with the simple things first, but if the bulbs are KNOWN to be good, (no guessing, run power and ground to the bulbs and see if they light up) then start working your way back from there.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 12:01:52 pm »
thanks john....     good advice.

I will check that and let everyone know...
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Nelson Inacio

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 11:35:23 pm »
I've had both headlights go at once. Just drove it home with hi-beams on.
92 tsi awd
91 tsi fwd 523,000kms R.I.P.

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:49:39 pm »
The search function works.

My voltage regulator went and over charged my battery. I nuetralized the acid that leaked out all over my tranny with baking soda water. That acid is eating my casting will it ever stop? Do I pull my tranny out to make sure its clean? fml
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:58:26 pm »
Matt, take everything off and away so you can get to everything involved.  more baking soda and water, let it sit, hose off with lots of water.  do it again.  keep it up until you are satisfied that its clean.  If you don't keep at it, every time the dried acid gets wet again from a puddle, rain splash, or just plain old humidity, it will reactivate and keep on eating.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:37 pm »
Everything is off. I have been waiting on powder coating since november. Thanks John. I might just drop the tranny then. I bought an odyssey dry cell battery will it ever leak the same way? I made a custom mount. Should I be making a tray as well to catch this shitty acid?
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 10:06:54 am »
From odyssey website.

Q. Are these a gel cell? What’s the difference?
A. No, the ODYSSEY battery is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.
The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage!

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:32:56 am »
the baking soda paste didnt foam up the second time i applied it. tells me that its no longer reacting with the acid so the acid is neutralized.