Author Topic: Rain gotta love it.....Help Please  (Read 1168 times)

Anonymous

Rain gotta love it.....Help Please
« on: November 20, 2002, 11:56:09 pm »
Well crazy rainstorm over the past couple days has left more car on the limp. First off I had water all over rear passenger side floor and under the seat gotta be aleak from the hatch I think anyone else got or had this??? Then just yesterday left work to discover my instrument lights weren't working. On the drive home I kept tinkering with the dim switch and nothing then right b4 I got home voila they come on haven't had any probs with it since ....strange problems hapening to my car since the rain came back...I think it misses me opening my external :). Any and all help welcome..Thanx

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 01:37:13 am »
i went through a puddle that was a little too deep a little too fast  :? at the time, the power steering cut out for a little while and all my dash lights came on as if it had stallled, but all is well now... except my driver side corner light is dead.. no matter what bulb i put it. does it have its own fuse?

stupid rain  :(
3.45 @ 101.8mph

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 07:58:52 am »
Water is an electrical device's worst nightmare.

Well, that and rogue power spikes :P

David, I'd park the car for a good two or three days in a covered environment if it starts raining again.  Let the car dry out, sounds like you had a short in your system due to waterleak in the interior.  Check your rear hatch seals and side door seals. Has your car ever been in an accident? Could the door frames be warped/bent? I've had a problem with my driver-side window creeping down on me a bit (damn old hand-crank windows), never to the point where it's wide open, but it's not a perfect seal and water sometimes gets in, especially when I'm washing the car with a pressure washer.

Jay, good question - dunno - could have blown the relay if enough water got into the signal housing. Isn't the relay like a $10 item? Just try swapping it ...

I took my car for a swim at the drive-thru for McD's on StillCreek yesterday. Ran a little rough after, actually thought for a second I may have skipped a tooth  :crazy: ... but she cleared up after a bit.

Anyways, back to work.
-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline John Vallentgoed

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 03:11:06 pm »
No comment on the electrical, but if you havent solved the leak problem yet you might just check your taillight covers. Mine split along a seam a few years ago (to much sun?); major flooding. Some silicone seal seemed to solve my problem.

Since then I've been much more careful (anal?) about keeping my car out of the elements.
aily driver? AutoX? 1/4 miler? Rally racer?  DSM AWD = choose any four.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 08:50:02 pm »
I know in my car if I open the hatch while it is raining, the water will run around the hatch, down the rubber seal, drip off the rubber seal and all over the rear seats.  If enough goes in the rear seats overflow onto the floor.  (Don't ask how I know.)

This is on a 2G, and the seals are fine.  It seems to be a design "oversight".  I can't believe they would build it that poorly.  Every other car I've driven doesn't seem to direct water INTO the car!!!

:)

-Kevin

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 11:56:34 am »
When my hatch was leaking, it just turned my trunk and spare tire well into a wave pool, and my back seats acted like a giant foam sponge. Floors in the back didn't get too wet though. Hard to say where that water's coming from.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...