Author Topic: Crunchy clutch pedal :(  (Read 1129 times)

Offline KevinBuckham

Crunchy clutch pedal :(
« on: November 22, 2002, 06:14:59 pm »
I have been having a crunchy feeling in my clutch pedal for the last couple of months accompanied by a squeaking sound as I depress the clutch pedal to full travel.  

While gettting out of my car tonight, I thought I would depress the clutch with the door open and I noticed that the sound is louder outside the car.  
:(  So it is not the clutch pedal hinge as I had assumed previously.

I am assuming that this means there is probably an issues with my master cylinder?  Any suggestions about what to look for?  Should I be looking to get it rebuilt?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Offline Aaron Moore

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 02:03:13 am »
Hey Kevin

When my master cylinder went, I could see a little fluid coming out of the master cylinder on the inside of the car (underneath the dash)....But I'm not sure if it's the same set up on your 2G car :roll:
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 02:54:12 am »
my master cylinder's leakin too :(

mind sharin how much it cost to get it fixed aaron?
3.45 @ 101.8mph

Offline Aaron Moore

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 03:56:48 pm »
I think a new one from Lordco was $40-50.  It's a bit of a pita to do, but I did it myself :vent:
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Jay Drew

• http://members.shaw.ca/blackdsm/
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 06:29:44 pm »
haha.. the guy at lordco told me it was $175 for a new one... bastard
3.45 @ 101.8mph

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2002, 06:47:45 pm »
It appears it is NOT my master cylinder.  I had a neighbour (Jag mechanic) come over and help me look over the car.

It appears the noise is coming from the bellhousing area. To him it sounds like a failing pressure plate!  Ack, what 3 clutches in 2 years!!!?

I'll go talk to the tranny shop on Monday and see what they say.  I'm not looking forward to paying for another clutch and clutch job.

-Kevin

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 09:34:30 am »
Kevin I have the same problem with my 92, i found the best way to fix this problem is adjust your seat, move it forward, move it back and adjust the back rest, yes this sounds weird, but their is a sweet spot for my seat, where it is extremely comfy and the clutch dont squeek or have the crunchy sticky feeling, its fine now, i think its just the way you push it in, on angles and what not is why its squeeking and making cunching sound.

Just adjust the seat, dont make fun of me, IT WORKS! AND ITS FREE!!
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline wally siu

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 11:46:59 am »
Quote from: "Travis Merrick"
Kevin I have the same problem with my 92, i found the best way to fix this problem is adjust your seat, move it forward, move it back and adjust the back rest, yes this sounds weird, but their is a sweet spot for my seat, where it is extremely comfy and the clutch dont squeek or have the crunchy sticky feeling, its fine now, i think its just the way you push it in, on angles and what not is why its squeeking and making cunching sound.

Just adjust the seat, dont make fun of me, IT WORKS! AND ITS FREE!!

Outta curiousity, how does that help a pressure plate???

Offline Travis Merrick

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 09:01:59 pm »
i dont know what it is wally, its weird, it may be how the clutch pedal is being pushed in, mine feels all sticky (kinda jittery) and makes a squeeking sound if its not in a certain position on the tracks, its weird, but it fixed mine and my shifts are much better, more smooth.  The clutch pedal is much more free flowing instead of sticking near the top.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2002, 08:49:50 am »
I'm pretty sure it is nothing to do with the pedal since the noise originates near the bell housing.   Thanks for the input though.

The noise and feel comes and goes now so hopefully it is not the pressure plate.  When I had my clutch installed the shop shimmed the release fork and perhaps something there is rubbing and/or needs lubrication.

Oh well, hopefully it holds for a couple more months.

-Kevin