Author Topic: Question about Phantom Knock  (Read 598 times)

Offline Travis Merrick

Question about Phantom Knock
« on: November 28, 2002, 02:00:47 pm »
yes, I have it, its creepy, heh, anyways.

If I have phantom knock would a AFC programmed properly be able to get rid of the knock?  I dont wanna go buy a AFC if it will not do anything.
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Question about Phantom Knock
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 05:31:53 pm »
Simple answer = no.

The afc can fine tune your mixture so you can minimize or elimate knock.  And get maximum timing advance and power.  But this is for WOT operation, where the car is in open loop operation.

In closed loop operation, ie with a functioning o2 sensor, partial throttle, the ECU will control fuel delivery.  The more out of whack you tune, the more the ECU will adjust the fuel trims.  

Phantom knock is knock that happens at low throttle, boost, rpms..... so afc tunining won't help.  But who even says that phantom knock is caused by poor a/f mixture?

Most likely PK occurs the worst on modded cars.  

****CRAZY THEORY ALERT*****
 Due to the mods, the ECU is picking the wrong timing advance (too much due to less counted air because of hacked mas), or the flow of air through the engine has been slowed down (less restriction= slower flow aka Venturi Effect) and the slowed air can't swirl, resulting in poor combustion that creates knock..
****END CRAZY THEORY ALERT*****

Or it could simply be carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. :shock:

BTW, how do you know you have phantom knock? Have you datalogged your car?  If you have, send me a copy.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8