Author Topic: overworking a turbo...  (Read 548 times)

Offline Travis Ball

overworking a turbo...
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:35 am »
I noticed the other day my car would not boost over 13psi. after some head scratching I realised now that I am back to an un modified deverter valve its probably leaking all the boost back to the intake... Wich got me thinking.... Can i just leave it like that?  or is it over working the turbo?

The extra air is fed right back into the intake. So its not wasted.  The turbo is moving more air than it has to but its not pressurising more than it can handle... Anyone have another t25 to sell if decide to see this through lol... Has anyone on here blown a turbo at 12 psi boost leaking like a mother?

Offline Greg Durban

Re: overworking a turbo...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:26:58 am »
Boost leaks are no good no matter how you look at them. The amount of extra heat built up from the turbo having to work harder to create the same amount of boost will slowly but surely wreak havoc on things. Not to mention your fuel mileage usually goes out the window too.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »
A hot air intake system.  :)

It would be better to run at lower boost with no pass through.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:31:19 pm »
you are over spinning the turbo.  If its trying to make 16 psi, but its going balls out all the time to try to do so, its over worked  and will fail sooner.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Travis Ball

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:05:25 pm »
The hot air is a really good point...

T25's experience boost drop.. Where you drop a few pounds at redline because the turbo can't keep up. In this case the turbo is already giving it its all.

At what psi do you guys get boost drop?