Author Topic: Car basically dead  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Jamie McIntyre

Re: Car basically dead
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 04:59:49 pm »
I do not, but it will go to a shop tomorrow

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 11:03:17 pm »
failed MAF? (possible not to set CEL).

What year was the dsm?

Possible plugged up exhaust?  (cat converter, or muffler, once I had the muffler packing/baffles fall apart, collapse and totally plug up the exhaust causing a almost identical situation on my evo to what you are describing.

Optimally you wanna be able to hooking up a scan tool/datalogger while the problem is occurring.  During the low power concern, you want to moniter MAF Hz input, o2 sensor input, TPS sensor input, Coolant temp sensor input, also check fuel trims.  You will also want to verify fuel pressure, but from saying the AF ratio is richer then 10: 1 then I imagine its getting enough fuel.  This would lead me to believe that u have a MAF problem, or a plugged up exhaust system possibly.

And of course.  one of the most common failures, as other people mentioned.  Check for boost leaks.  this would definalty also cause the issues your describing.  Boost leak test with pressurized air and use your ears and soap/water in a sprayer to check/find leaks.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jamie McIntyre

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:59 pm »
1991. No cat and month old 3" exhaust. I'll have it checked thoroughly for boost leaks tomorrow. I'm putting in an apfr soon. If that fails, then maf it is :(
Thanks for the input guys
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:06:58 am by Jamie McIntyre »

Offline Jamie McIntyre

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:26 am »
UPDATE:
I tightened a loose coupler and unplugged/replugged my SAFC and all is well /shrug

On a side note, I have FIC 850 injectors, a FP HTA71/FP manifold/PR o2 housing combo, 2g MAF, as well as a 1990 socketed ECM w/ DSM link v3 that are arriving early next week. Any mechanics out there with some time that are willing to do a little work? I can pay via paypal, as its going to have to go onto the CC. Looking to avoid the shop costs of Racing Greed, but i'll head there after for dyno tuning.

Offline Jamie McIntyre

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 12:51:24 pm »
And a FYI...the turbo/manifold/o2 are already together and should be a direct bolt on. Although I would like to spray the manifold with some VHT header paint as it is rusty. The turbo and o2 are virtually brand new.

As a kicker, I am a counterman at Lordco so come and see me and I'll make sure to treat you right.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 01:16:48 pm »
Where about you live again Jamie?  I live in Chilliwack and work out of my shop at my house when im not working during business hours.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Jamie McIntyre

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »
I am in surrey Brett, but willing to travel

Offline Matt Vangaalen

• VangaBuilt
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 09:13:35 am »
What Lordco are you at Jaime?
6 bolt short block (.02 over evo9 pistons). Straight cut oil pump gears. Ported 2g head and manifolds, GSC S1 cams(adjustable gears), undercut SS valves, bronze guides, Manley springs. Fp's Big T28, stock 02 into 2.5 downpipe, 3" from the flex section back. Apex'i N1 muffler. ETS fmic. 1g bov. 1g throttle body. 255lph pump. 660cc injectors. AFPR. SD on Link V3. 345 ft lbs 345 hp.

Offline Jamie McIntyre

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
Southwest Marine drive