Author Topic: Which cams to use? FP3's or S3's  (Read 946 times)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Which cams to use? FP3's or S3's
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »
Im stuck at which cams to use for my "preliminary" build.  The turbo will be a evo 3 16g setup, running pump gas and meth.  I have went with stage 3 cams (280's) due to not wanting to upgrade them later on when going to a larger turbo.  I already have both cams in my possession, ready to rock, just wondering if the fp3's or s3's will suit the smaller evo316g turbo for now.  I also have kiggly beehive springs and ti retainers going in at the same time.  (plan on 9000 rpm rev limiter if power will stay that high up) and shooting for 27-29 psi of boost if possible.

This is on a 6 bolt, stock bottom end, and stock head (no porting, stock sized valves)

let me know what u guys think
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Zach Holt

Re: Which cams to use? FP3's or S3's
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:10:07 pm »
S3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:37:06 am »
Both cams will shift your power curve to the top end.  And that 16G will run out of breath.

I KNOW youre going to move a bigger turbo   haha

Both sets of cams are ideal for a mid-large frame turbo, where the turbo can breath at high RPM,  Or a stroker setup, where the motor can bring some mid range back into the picture.

Ill bet that you will still boost quickly with the 16g, but you wont be close to maxing the airflow capabilities of either cam.
So you will definitely be able to max the 16g out no problem, but you wont be using either cams full potential.

look into the cam cards for both sets of cams.    ide go with whatever cam has a quicker ramp rate, shorter duration and shorter lift if your going to stick with the 16g and utilize one of those sets of cams.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:38:32 am »
I know ya got a screamin deal on those fp3's   ;)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »
yes the deal on the fp3's cant be beat.  Esspecially after the polishing job (cams came out looking almost like new again, a lot of the rough looking journals was just aluminum transferred).

I want to maximize my current setup (evo 3 16g), and im thinking of the s2's will make more power then the s3, but shelling out 600-700 for a set of new s2's seems like a lot to spend when for around 500 more I can buy a FP black.  (im thinking this will be my turbo upgrade next year)

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
I found mint fp4r cams for $300.     and idle time ID1000 injectors for $275.

Keep your eyes peeled.   
I see HKS 272's pop up more than most cams. Other than Brian Crower shit.

Might be a good option aswell.  Known to work well in many different applications.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:53:28 pm »
well, I have decidced.  Im going to say screw trying to use stage 2 cams.  the GSC s3's will be going in.

im not too worried about lower RPM power loss anyways.  Im building a higher RPM motor anyways with the 6 bolts  low 7.8:1 compression and the big port 1g head.

Ill see how it goes.  No point in going to S2 or stage 2 camshafts if its possible they will make less peak HP then with the s3's.  All everyone cares about for the most part is the peak HP and TQ numbers anyways lol

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »
hell yea.    just giver!

Itll be a booost buggy

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:12 pm »
ya, fuck drivability.. america.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:09:49 am »
  All everyone cares about for the most part is the peak HP and TQ numbers anyways lol

QFT

As if to prove your point, I have seen RG's adding the dynojet "correction factor" so the number reads higher.  I don't blame them, everyone wants a BIG increase... 8)

"Power under the curve".  Only one member has ever asked me about it.  LOL  Even on the Ducati forum its the same thing, although a race engineer rejoiced when I mentioned it since people are so fascinated by peak numbers when measuring the size of their, ahem, performance gains.
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno