Author Topic: gsx over heating  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Bryan_Pal

gsx over heating
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:03:18 pm »
hey guys so i just recently got my motor rebuilt, and got an after market tubular mani, 20g turbo, safc 2, super slim fans, greddy bov, fmic, and im sure im missing other parts but i went to pick the car up and and noticed its not running so smooth and a friend of mine recommended i need a tune as it feels like its running lean. so on take off the car is hesitant to boost right away it seems like i have massive power loss from idle to about 3500-4000 then it boosts fine so im assuming the car is just really lean and then i drive for about a block or two and the temp needle just keeps rising and say if im at a light it'll seem like its going slowly going down again but doesn't really and then i just drive back to the shop ive done this twice and waisted 150$ in permits trying to go home but the cars still at the shop... so they thought it was the thermostat so they removed it and its still having problems, ive done a ton of research and don't really know what to do as my cars still at the shop and i don't think they're really familiar with modded dsms, but the problem is i already payed them in full thinking the car was all up and running.. so im refusing to take it home until its fixed. so from what ive read my manifold could be causing the problem as when i run it for that block or w.e and i open the hood its extremley hot and also my engine gets so hot that my overflow bottle is rattling and spewing coolant out of it.. another thing i was looking into that my car is too lean that it may be over working my turbo so in theory my engine gets really hot, and another buddy i talked to said i should upgrade my rad right now well i was going to do that down the road anyways but i kinda want to know what i can do just to drive the car home without over heating ... from my understanding im in kind of a situation as there can be many variables. Then i realized im dumb cause i never made a thread of my own and just reading others threads but let me know what you guys think and if there's a fix and or if anyone lived in surrey near 76 and king george that would want to take a peak at my car? thanks in advance guys :)

Offline Richard Steger

Re: gsx over heating
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »
It's a bad idea to keep driving if the temp needle is heading north and the overflow bottle is spewing.  You'll warp your aluminum head.  Stop.  Cool it down then limp to shop.  If the thermostat is suspect, try a new one.  Defective is a possibility.  Your rad may not be flowing or transferring heat due to corrosion/sludge buildup from age/poor maintenance. 

If you haven't had your car tuned with bigger injectors since your rebuild/upgrades, take it to Racing Greed and get it done.  Or hire Brett to come to you and check it out.  I don't see how lean could cause that amount of overheating by itself.  Lean just causes detonation and holes in pistons, but usually runs strong before that happens.

who did the rebuild?  Water pump replaced I hope?

I hope this helps you in the right direction but I'm sure more experienced advice is coming...
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:03:53 pm »
without getting into your loss of power, as it could be a separate issue altogether, I would have a look at your rad fans and relays, switches, etc.... if they are not cycling in this heat, your car won't be happy.  Definitely check the flow of coolant through the rad and engine (heater core could be plugged too).  Open the rad cap and rev the engine to see if the water pump is functioning.   That is all I have for you for now, good luck, i'll check in another day and see how you're doing.   
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:58:39 pm »
Give me a txt, hard to read all that. 604 613 8336
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:51:58 pm »
I say call Brett or RG.

Here's my 2 cents:

Could be that your rad is plugged. Could be the thermostat...if they replaced it, also replace the rad cap.

As Travis said about the heater core, hopefully it's not that as it is a total bitch to do. I did mine myself and it ain't fun.
If you can smell a sweet coolant smell every time you turn on the heat, it could very well be that too. I've personally never heard of cars overheating due to the heater core but I guess it is a possibility.

Also, as Richard said...was the water pump done? Running lean can really fuck shit up so have that looked at right away.
One of my injectors failed on my old motor causing it to run super lean and get really hot, which in turn caused a piston to fuse with a plug and then it blew my engine.

So injectors is a def must.

If you know your water pump was replaced and the thermostat too...might as well replace the rest of the cooling system. New rad, new hoses, temp coolant sensor and rad cap.

Then if it still overheats...probably your injectors and/or that manifold you were mentioning. I wonder if wrapping the mani would help?

Anyways, by no means am I a mechanic, I'm just blabbing on from my own personal experiences. Best to have the professionals look at it though.

Good luck bro.
Ryan

2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Eddie ly

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 10:11:51 pm »
Check all mention above ,also make sure your fans are wired in properly, if it's intend to pull make sure it's wired to pull and not push!

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:25:21 pm »
Could be this, could be that. Enough of the guessing and start properly diagnosing the vehicle starting with the most simple.
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:20 am »
I say BHG...........
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI