Author Topic: Charging Optima battery  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Charging Optima battery
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
Anyone know of a place that knows what they're doing with these?

These batteries are crazy robust and I know it can't be garbage. Have done lots of reading up on it and there's a way to properly charge them however, I don't want to sped the money to get a volt meter and a secondary battery to trick the charger in doing so. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with a shop that is familiar enough with these to charge it properly?

Thanks,
Ryan
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
Re: Charging Optima battery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:38:04 am »
You need a ctek charger to do it right. They are not too expensive and can get them at scrappy tire I think
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:10:48 am »
Thank you sir! I will check today.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »
yeah pretty much any gel cell you don't want charge at over 14.5 ish volts, or it can cause damage to the battery.  We have the newer style chargers at work that limit the voltage output to protect AGM and gell cell batteries from overcharge condition.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:45:38 pm »
Shumacher chargers will also do it.  many ones like the ctek and Shumacher etc.  Just a good modern "smart" charger.

one with manual settings for agm, gel and regular lead acid.  one with manual voltage settings and a good charge indicator are helpful. 

I think I payed the princely sum of $35 from walmart.  Had it for 5 years or so and its fine.  It also has polarity protection etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:48:53 pm »
Thanks John,

Yeah I bought the one that Marke was talking about but still no dice. Got it up to a 10v charge but it cannot hold it. Dropped to around 9.1v the next day, then 8v that same day. Also, it got pretty hot during charging (not warm but hot), the manual says that if it gets hot there is most likely a short in the battery. I tried doing the second battery trick on the charger also but it did not help.

Sitting on it for now since it's been parked for a while anyway.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 04:52:59 pm »
if it won't hold a charge, it won't hold a charge.  its pooched. 

a battery getting warmish during a charge is normal and ok, as long as its not hot. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:00:57 pm »
Yeah, I figured it's most likely dead...does not hold a charge and gets hot while charging.

2001 Altezza RS200