Author Topic: No fuel after engine bay wash  (Read 849 times)

Offline J. Todd Murie

No fuel after engine bay wash
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:01 am »
So I had a oil line split and after replacing the hose, I washed the engine bay and took the car for a test drive.  Everything seemed fine so I brought it home, shut it down and polished a couple pieces.... Then I go to start the car and there is no fuel pressure.

I have checked the pump and it is fine, the fuel pump relay also seems to be working correctly, but the power from the relay is not making it to the pump.  The only other thing I can think I have broken is the injector resistor pack.

Does anyone know if this thing could be my issue?

Offline Bryan Hoytema

Re: No fuel after engine bay wash
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:16:26 am »
have you checked for fuel pressure with pressure tester ? or are you just going by ear and hearing relay click and fuel pump wining ?

Offline J. Todd Murie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:07 am »
Yes, I have checked with a pressure gauge.

I also pulled the pump out and applied power, and it works fine.  There is just no power going to the pump.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:04 am »
First thing to check is the CAS.  Moisture inside will stop fuel pump from activation due to no signal.  Open it, dry it out with compressed air and replace. go from there.

Always cover that MOFO up when washing engine.... or at least stay away from it.

Good luck

Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:27:21 pm »
My fuel pump would shut down after a launch.
The problem is with the factory connector to the fuel pump.. The connecting plug female end  was full of greenish powder...
Try to clean with baking soda....Still don't trust the connector so I added a parallel bypass.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline J. Todd Murie

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:18:08 pm »
I checked absolutely everything! and came to the conclusion that the ECU was the culprit...  So I first attempted to re-seat the ECU connectors and what the hell? IT WORKED!

It should be noted that the car has an AEM EMS V1 so the fuel pump primes before the engine is cranked over.  While troubleshooting, the fuel pump would cut in and out very quickly so I was able to determine that certain components were still functioning.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:28:15 pm »
Oh... thanks... that reminds me... I have to check something.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor