Author Topic: Starting car after 3 years on driveway...advice?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Fred Cheng

Starting car after 3 years on driveway...advice?
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:26 am »
Hey guys,

I've left my '96 TSi AWD sitting on my driveway since Fall of 2013 (ie. almost 3 years!).  This extended "storage" was unanticipated, so I never did the "required" prep such as fuel stabilizer or putting up on jacks, etc.  The battery has been unplugged.  I think there's about 1/4-1/3 tank of fuel left in it when I parked it.  What are some things I "must" do now before firing her up again?  So excited to drive her around again, but want to make sure I don't mess her up... I've been the sole-owner since May of '96! 

Appreciate your thoughts and advice.  Thanks, guys!

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Brent Hunter

• No shit, 4g63
Re: Starting car after 3 years on driveway...advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:06 am »
Dump the old gas, change fuel filter and oil would probably be a good start. Or atleast grab a Jerry can and fill the gas tank up.with premium if you can't dump it
-1991 tsi awd, big 16g.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »
meh, being fuel injection....  it will probably fire right up by just getting a good battery in it.  Just don't romp on it before u put some good new fresh gas in there.  And of course, change the oil, filter and good idea to flush the coolant and check/change trans fluid and tcase/rear diff fluid if u wanted to.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
make sure no critters have made a bed in your air intake , or chewed any wires . check all fluids and replace with fresh