Author Topic: What steps can be done to get rid of knock  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Travis Merrick

What steps can be done to get rid of knock
« on: October 24, 2002, 02:30:10 pm »
is knock created from either running to rich or to lean? I have done some research into it and nothing is giving me in depth, what can I do to fix this, or is it something to do with the octane of fuel.  I really wanna solve this problem!
2 TSi AWD - 14.2@98mph - RIP

85 SJ413 w/ Toy axles

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Re: What steps can be done to get rid of knock
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2002, 03:26:35 pm »
Quote from: "Travis Merrick"
is knock created from either running to rich or to lean? I have done some research into it and nothing is giving me in depth, what can I do to fix this, or is it something to do with the octane of fuel.  I really wanna solve this problem!

Hey, I've found on my '94 1G N/T that when I'm either goin uphill or have some weight in the car, and I'm in 3rd or even 2nd ... and at that right speed ... I get that gross sounding knock.  If I put in the good juice (92 Octane or higher), I don't get the knock. Plain and simple.  It's a small price to pay for keeping my baby happy.

My $0.02 ...

-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 04:07:42 pm »
Travis, have a look here.. phantomknock-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Join up and read through the archives. it seems there is a number of things that CAN potentially cause PK, you need to figure out which could be your culprit.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Stan Quan

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 10:13:25 am »
I'm not a scientist nor a mechanic so don't take it as the bible.  This is just a general explanation.

Without getting too technical, knock is caused by premature detonation of fuel.  Imagine your pistons going up and down.  Fuel is "detonated" inside the piston chamber.  If the fuel is detonated prematurely (e.g. not a full stroke) it will cause "knocking" because the timing is off.  A higher octane fuel has a higher heat tolerance and will detonate at a higher temperature, and hence, allow the pistons to reach full stroke.  However, with today's high tech cars, the car's computer can detect knocking and will adjust the cars setting (e.g. air/fuel mixture, etc.) to help reduce knocking.

So if you are getting knocking, then a higher octane fuel will retard the knocking.  I think one of the causes of knocking is engine sludge.  My recommendation is to fill up with Chevron fuel.  The Techroline additive is good at keeping your engine clean.  Once in a while, if you want to give it a good clean you can buy a bottle of Techroline additive and add it with your fill-up.

I've got a '92 Talon Tsi, and the recommended fuel is premium unleaded (91 octane).  With cost of gas being so high, I tried 87 octane to see what the difference was.  I didn't experience knocking, but I did notice a slight performance decline.  I believe this is because the computer detected lower octane/knocking and will adjust accordingly (e.g. lower performance to reduce heat).

Hope this helps,

Stan Quan

Troy Simkus

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 12:36:19 pm »
I've got a '92 Talon Tsi, and the recommended fuel is premium unleaded (91 octane).  With cost of gas being so high, I tried 87 octane to see what the difference was.  I didn't experience knocking, but I did notice a slight performance decline.  I believe this is because the computer detected lower octane/knocking and will adjust accordingly (e.g. lower performance to reduce heat).

thats the computer retarding your timing.

You 1g guys should all be doing the knock led mod.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 06:38:37 pm »
A lot of things get blamed for knock, such as a/f ratio, and noisy lifters.  

First off, always use the highest octane gas.

Your a/f ratio has to be pretty far off to be the main culprit.  I have experimented and found that tuning a/f ratio helps prevent WOT knock, but has little influence on partial throttle knock.

Noisy lifters.  I had the noisiest lifters in the world and spent over $250 to cure the noise.  Guess what?  Absolutely NO effect on phantom knock...

So what is it?  Could be carbon buildup.  Could be an engine in dire need of a rebuild.  Could be inherent in the design of the engine.   For example, a certain amount of "swirl" is required for proper ignition to take place.  At low engine speeds, the air velocity may not be high enough to allow enough "swirl".  Compound this with added boost (of a modded car), plus the inherent "hysteresis"  of knock and you could have runaway knock.

What would slow down air velocity?   I'll leave that up to Mr. Venturi....

My .02
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8