Author Topic: "Stumbling" Problem...  (Read 5364 times)

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« on: October 25, 2002, 06:01:47 pm »
Hey guys,

No, no, I can still walk straight... I'm not the one stumbling...   :twisted:

I was starting from a stop earlier today, stepping on it pretty hard but not red-lining it (I shifted at just past 5000rpm every time)... I've done this on occassion, but this time, I noticed the car kindof stumbling and jerking a little bit... it wasn't much, but enough for some "hesitation"... I got to my destination, and while I was driving in the parking lot in 1st, the car did more of the "hesitation"/"stumbling" thing... anyway, I parked the car for a few hours, then when I got back in to drive away, I noticed the "stumbling" quite a few times while I was in 1st gear in the parking lot and just driving around town... it happens now mostly in 1st (and not every time I'm in 1st gear), but also in 2nd and 3rd...

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?  I changed the spark plugs about 4000 - 5000 km's ago...

Oh, my car's a '96 TSi AWD with about 53, 000km's on it.

Thanks for any insight you can offer! ;)  This "stumbling" is annoying me... I hope things are ok... :evil:

Fred C
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Aaron Moore

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 06:31:48 pm »
could it be the dreaded fuel cut?
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
stumbling along in the fast lane
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 06:59:40 pm »
Could be fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors, plug wires...

Try throwing in some injector cleaner, spend $40 on new plug wires or somethin.  Trial and error! w00t!

-Andrew
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline KevinBuckham

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 09:42:52 pm »
I'll bet it is plug change time.  I change my plugs every time I change my oil.  If I don't I get part throttle stumbling.  (Even though the gap is correct and the plugs are the correct colour.)

If new plugs don't fix it then replace plug wires.  If not try the fuel suggestions (filter, injector cleaner etc) posted previously.

-Kevin

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2002, 09:56:27 pm »
A few weeks ago, I decided to gap my spark plugs to the specs of a Tsi and I was 'missing', 'sputtering' ALOT.  Could very well be your plug gaps, plugs themselves or your wires.  Obviously, try the cheapest fix and see if that helps.
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 02:02:36 am »
Hmm... thanks for the replies, guys! :)

It's weird 'cuz that plug-change 5000km's ago was my FIRST one since I've owned the car (since I've had it brand new), and never have I had any of this hesitation... only after his ONE time of punching it did I get it... and I don't floor it much at all (maybe max of once every week or 2)... could this one-time flooring of the car have shifted the plugs somehow?!?  I was wondering that maybe one of the hoses are lose or something... I'm so clueless with cars though... Also, I was wondering if I unplugged the battery for a few hours to reset things, would it fix it?

That injector cleaner stuff... what's a good brand?  They're actually safe/good for cars?

Thanks again, guys... I really appreciate you putting up with all my Q's and offering me all this help...  I have no idea where else to turn.

Fred C

Oh, btw, I was just driving right now and noticed that it does that "hesitation" thing at idle too...
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Wayne Barbaza

wow
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2002, 03:24:06 am »
those first set of plugs lasted pretty long huh?
well if the problem happened right after you floored it, theres a really good chance its your plugs now.

Offline Wayne Barbaza

oops
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2002, 03:25:44 am »
sorry i meant its a good chance its your plug WIRES now...

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 09:52:48 am »
Thanks, Wayne... :) another friend just suggested it was the plug-wires... if it WAS associated with the wires, could this "hesitation" just appear suddenly like this?

I read somewhere before that Magnecor wires were "bad" for our cars for some reason... should I be getting some Magnecors? Or something else?

Hmm... I hope I can fix this ASAP.

Btw, is it harmful to the car if I drive it around with "bad plug-wires" (assuming that's the problem) for a few days?

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 10:28:38 am »
A 96 with 53000K , wow. thats a keeper for sure. Go buy yourself some NGK wires and dinner for you and your GF with the money you would have wasted on anything else.  Also, have you looked to see if you are throwing any codes?
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline George Myshlyayev

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2002, 10:50:22 am »
hey fred, you live so close by lowell's shop.  pop by his shop and get his opinion.
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name
Boost very well by reputation ;)

Offline Wayne Barbaza

yup
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2002, 11:20:35 am »
Fred,

Yup.  Definitely.  Especially after gunning it, the plugs and wires could go on you all of a sudden.  As Fraser said, get some NGK wires.

I'm not sure what kind of damage you can do driving when you're misfiring.  If you have to, just drive really slowly I guess?  

i agree, 96 w/ 53k....im jealous

Offline George Myshlyayev

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2002, 10:28:16 pm »
i guess it's a "race" between you and i fred, im at 53k too.  yah it's a 98 but still.   8)
8 TSi AWD
Boostwell by name
Boost very well by reputation ;)

Offline Mike Schmid

mileage
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2002, 11:55:28 pm »
You guys all suck...  :cry:

My heap rolled past 253 000 kms about 2000 kms ago....

On another subject, since I live in Calgary now, I was thinking about rally mods :p  Anyone know a good way to jack the car up a few inches, weld on some body protection (steel pipe bumpers, light bar, and side "skirts") and a good brand of ugly knobby 16" tires?  :roll:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2002, 12:25:44 am »
Hahaha... Fraser, I've been going to SFU and I live just 15km's away...  plus I haven't taken the Talon on any long trips, not even to Whistler... that's why I haven't racked up much mileage on my car. :)

I don't race, George.  Be good.  :twisted:

Thanks for all the tip, guys... maybe I'll stop by and see Lowell, but I didn't wanna bother him if it's something as simple as plug-wires... I should get a "professional" opinion, I guess, huh?

Is there a particular type of NGK wire I should get?  Like, is there a model number or something?  And, how much should I expect to pay?  So, Magnecor is something to stay away from?

Mike, if you're serious about the rally mods, I know that some private companies make magnetic "body-armour" for the sides of cars... at least I know of some for the New-Age Impreza's... maybe that's something you can look into?  I'm not sure about lift-systems for our cars though. hehe.

Thanks again, guys... *really* appreciate it!   :D

Fred C
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---