Author Topic: "Stumbling" Problem...  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2002, 08:09:07 am »
Fred, you say your car stumbles... Do you mean that it is missing?
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2002, 11:26:48 am »
"Missing" as in "mis-firing", right?  Well, I'm not sure... like I said, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to these technical things...  :oops:

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2002, 02:38:28 pm »
I define stumbling like hesitating.  Kinda jerky, car seems to slow down for a split second.

Missifiring,  the car may still accelerate or hold speed (just barely) and its usually fairly smooth, usually feels like a mild power loss.  But the noticible thing is less explosive type noises coming from your tail-pipe....  your car may seem quiter....

Well, thats my description.   :?  Heh, we should have a contest to describe a condition in laymens terms and see who is the most "creative/hilarious"....

Anyway, other things to check:

Battery, alternator, electrical contacts - After all, spark needs electricity...

Hope this helps.....  8)
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2002, 12:22:39 am »
From your list of descriptions, I think my car is "stumbling" then because there seems to be a momentary loss of power...

Actually, come to think of it, I've noticed that even before this, there was the occasional loss of power as if the turbo would spool (I'd see the boost go up on my boost-guage), but my engine would be "lagging" and the car wouldn't wanna move as well... is this a related thing, you think?  (Sorry guys, the puzzle becomes more complicated...)

Help, help!

Thanks!

Fred

PS: If it WERE my plugwires, are there any physical signs/evidence to be sure?
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---

Stan Quan

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2002, 01:01:18 pm »
One way to check if it is your plug wires is to open up your hood in a dark garage, and turn on your car.  If you see some "flashes" from you wires, then your wires are probably worn/cracked and need replacing.

Offline Fred Cheng

"Stumbling" Problem...
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2002, 04:10:57 pm »
Thanks, Stan!  Do you mean that it'll spark when I start the car?  Or as the engine's idling?

I've replaced the wires with some aftermarket NGK ones, and everything is running fine for now... let's hope it lasts through at least the Holiday Season 'cuz that season's gonna be expensive. :)

Thanks very much for all your help, guys!!  I really appreciate it. :)

Fred
FReddy] --- [TSi SPY]

--- [1996 TSi AWD] ---