Author Topic: oil in the sparkplug hole problem..  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Zak Mach

• http://www.imvasian.com
oil in the sparkplug hole problem..
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:48:47 am »
damn my car was runnign so good.. & all of a sudden i put it in storage & now all i have is problems..

ok new problems..

the seal on my oil cap is fukd. oil is all over my valve cover.. i was desperate for a fix today & went to lordco & paid 15 for a new oil cap.

well after comming out of lordco .. tried to start my car & it started and went "rattatatata blat DEAD!".. car wouldent even idle.. the engine would go on for 3 sec then shut off.. i figure some oil dripped into my sparkplug holes.. so i pull the spark plug wires out & used a rag & a screwdriver to try to soak up all the oil in the 4 sparkplug holes..
after doing so .. car started fine.. drove to my moms house, turned the engine off & on again.. same problem..  i pull out all the plug again & tried cleaned the holes & wires up .. its spotless.. no water, oil or anything.. start the car up fine .. ripped it around the block.. turned the engine off & on.. same shit.. i had to do this 4 times..
but i manage  to kinda get it to work & drive back to surrey.. car runs great.. no power loss.. I get home & shut off the engine .. & start it again & it starts fine.

but im not sure if the problem is gonna come back tomorrow.. what else could it be??  errr.. im so tired of this car now..

should I change the plugs? wires? engine? car?

any ifo would be really helpfull .. thanks guyz

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:26:58 pm »
Gotta replace the spark plug wire fluid if it's leaking out.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:38:09 pm »
typically, it's the spark-plug hole gaskets on the valve cover that leak, giving you oil inside the spark plug wells.

Didn't you just replace those gaskets? or did you replace the valve cover gasket, but kept the ones for the spark plug wells?

Your plugs might be fowled.  They're cheap, replace them anyways. ;)
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:01:10 pm »
if the wells were full for any time, I'd say the used engine oil(being full of corrosives and solvents) damaged your wires.

can't hurt to change the plugs and wires along with those gaskets.

Go from there.  It could be a few other things, but start there with the easy and cheap.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 06:43:17 pm »
the valve seal is fine.. right now im guessing its the wires.. i pulled out the plugz .. cleaned the plug wells.. yes there was oil in it... changed all new sparkplugz.. problem is still there..

gonna look for my stock wires & change them back.. hopefully its the problem..

dont really chuck these Nology sparkplug wires.. i payed so much for them..  but.. damn

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 06:51:01 pm »
Zak, it's gotta be the spark plug gallery gaskets.  There are 4 of them.  The outter seal might be fine, but the 4 ones that seal in the ring around the spark plug galleries are not.  Either a gasket problem, or a bolt torquing problem or something.  You can buy the whol set of gaskets, which is 4 spark plug gallery ones, the outter ring, and a little semi-circular plug and install them all, or a place like lordco might even sell them seperatly.  Anyways, if you need to replace one, you might as well well spend the $50 at lordco and buy the set of gaskets for the valve cover.  And thus, your problem will be fixed, unless you have something wierd like a crack in the cover, which is unlikely.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Milad Lari

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 07:23:07 pm »
or go to L&R i got whole set of gaskets, valve cover gasket, 4 spark plug gallery ones, the outter ring, and a little semi-circular plug for $50
ELL: (604) 763-3312

FS: Tan Convertible Soft Top Cover, 2G Knock Sensor(brand new), Ractive Indiglo Blue Boost Gauge(brand new), 2G OEM Black Power Mirrors

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 07:33:28 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
Zak, it's gotta be the spark plug gallery gaskets.  There are 4 of them.  The outter seal might be fine, but the 4 ones that seal in the ring around the spark plug galleries are not.  Either a gasket problem, or a bolt torquing problem or something.  You can buy the whol set of gaskets, which is 4 spark plug gallery ones, the outter ring, and a little semi-circular plug and install them all, or a place like lordco might even sell them seperatly.  Anyways, if you need to replace one, you might as well well spend the $50 at lordco and buy the set of gaskets for the valve cover.  And thus, your problem will be fixed, unless you have something wierd like a crack in the cover, which is unlikely.

thanks martin ill try that

ok ive tried everything..

-new oilcap
-changed valve seal
-cleaned out the sparkplug plug holes
-changed new sparkplugs
-whipped down my valve cover, drove around all day today & checked for leaks.. no leaks.
-replaced my old spark plug wires

still same problem..started the car.. rev to 4000rpm for 15-20 seconds.. turned the engine off.. & when I try to start it again.. engine studders & dies...

should I do an oil change?? will it make a difference??
when i check my dip stick , my oil is a little over the line..

im just gonna bring it to a shop to look at it ..L&R is alwayz so busy..
anyone recromend another shop?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 08:48:01 pm »
oil change aint gonna do squat for this problem.

I suspect electronics.  Either a coil pack or some sort of module.  Maybe ECU?

I don't know the 2g system really well tho.

Have you got acess to a logger? YOu could monitor voltages to all the sensors, injector pulsewidth etc as its doing it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:54:52 pm »
damn forget it.. ill just take it to a shop.. L&R is always too busy.. gotta book a month ahead. maybe ill try topend or kinetic

which one do u guyz recromend

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 01:29:10 am »
Kinetic
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Zak Mach

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 04:41:46 pm »
ohh no shops avalible.. damn..

i went to lordco bought new plug well seals, oilfilter, oil

so today i changed the plugwells on my car, gave it an oilchange, changed the oil filter, flushed the coolent.

started it the badboy up.. idled for 5 mins, shut the car off.. started it again ...studder.. dead!!
so far ive changed..

valve seal
sparkplug well seal
sparkplugs
sparkplug wires
oil
oil filter
oil cap
and flushed the coolent

ok im starting to think its something else.. but what?

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 04:57:05 pm »
Sounds like a fuel pump issue that I came across once.

Do you have a rewired pump?

Do you have a way that you check Fuel pressure?

I'm thinking that it could be intermittent fuel delivery from either bad wiring or a fuel system issue like a clogged filter

If you let the car sit long enough. it will start and then stutter and die, without any power hooked up to the pump.(I've tried it)

Your car seems to be running longer than 30 secs though.

I think it would be a good idea to check the wiring, not sure if the 2g has a fuel pump jump connector like the 1g but you should be able to figure out a way to jump your fuel pump, disconnect the return line from the rail and determine that a good amount of fuel is being delivered

I also saw a 1g that was stored for a yr that the fuel pump rusted solid

I'm also guessing fuel pump because I doubt it would throw a CEL

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 05:02:22 pm »
Ryan, you don't think its a heat related thing, like a module or other electronics related item?

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 05:17:30 pm »
John,

He hasn't mentioned any CEL's

and usually OBDII is good enough to recognize ignition/ electronic module problems that are bad enough to cause an engine to stall.

I don't think most cars monitor fuel pressure because they shut off the fuel pump to turn off the engine.

But it's still a guess ( we won't know for sure until he does some testing)

I know on my new OBDII car i can shut off the fuel pump and not throw a CEL, and the same on the ol 1g.