Author Topic: Converting Awd to Rwd  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Anthony Binga

Converting Awd to Rwd
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:22:46 am »
Ive searched and checked vfaq but can find any articles on this. Does anyone have a read thru that shows what it takes to convert a 1gb to rwd?
992 Eagle Talon

Offline Aaron Moore

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 02:05:27 pm »
search toonerz
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:30:04 pm »
1. weld center differential
2. plug front axle holes in tranny
3. large bolt to "plug" front wheels (bearings)

Cheap and dirty.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Mitch Delmer

• http://www.rmtmods.ca
Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 05:37:59 pm »
I know of three ways to do this, all of which will cost lots of dough,

1- Acquire and install a viscous coupler eliminator and a welded center diff. Then pull out one or both front CV shafts, remove the shaft itself, and reinstall the joint ends to seal the transmission and preload the wheel bearings.

2- Buy a JDM switchable transmission, lock it in FWD, which just locks the center diff and doesn't involve disassembling your transmission. Then do the CV shaft mod as in #1.

In the two above you should also buy all the 4 bolt rears you can find and get good at changing them because you will destroy a lot of them!!

I have this next project sitting in my parking lot all in pieces, hopefully I have it running for next season at the track. So if you don’t want to change rear ends all the time then do the following:

3- get a FWD car, remove the solid axle and reinstall a 9" ford, turn the engine 90* and use a dodge d50 transmission, and voila, RWD.
991 AWD 5speed 6/4
Holset HY35, Kinetic Tubular manifold, 3"turboback, RMT FMIC, 255walbro, 780's, Maffless!!,  AEM wideband, Eprom ecu with Speed Density chip...
11.40 @ 124mph-- 1700ft elevation  
DSM's---->>>Burnin gas and haulin ass

RMT Modifications
Shop phone-->250 833 5724

Offline KevinBuckham

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:49:59 pm »
I've heard of problems of one guy repeatedly breaking rear axles and differentials on a 2G with a T25 on autocross tracks with a 35/65 torque split center diff (custom Cusco I think).  I can only guess what 100% rear bias and a larger turbo would do to those parts.  The good news is that the 35/65 torque split somewhat solves the power on understeer problems.  Bad news is that we don't have axles that can take the repeated abuse.  

This info was off the Yahoo! DSM-autox list.  Feel free to search for further information.

I would get a Starion/Conquest, and mount the engine North/South. :)

Offline John Hartman

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:11:02 pm »
its a lot of work, just to go driftin'   ;)

Could be fun, don't get me wrong, but no one has really come up with a good, proper, professional way yet.

And yea, like Mitch said, even a 4bolt aint gonna take a built motor for long.

Some have suggested 6bolt rears from StarQuests etc, but again, its all a crap shoot.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Sarah Hancock

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 07:22:06 am »
starquests have only a 3 bolt rear

Offline John Hartman

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 06:06:32 pm »
oh? Ok, you have one ;)

I had read that they had a very strong 6 bolt rear.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Leon Hui

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 03:26:47 pm »
Quote from: "KevinBuckham"
I've heard of problems of one guy repeatedly breaking rear axles and differentials on a 2G with a T25 on autocross tracks with a 35/65 torque split center diff (custom Cusco I think).  I can only guess what 100% rear bias and a larger turbo would do to those parts.  The good news is that the 35/65 torque split somewhat solves the power on understeer problems.  Bad news is that we don't have axles that can take the repeated abuse.  

This info was off the Yahoo! DSM-autox list.  Feel free to search for further information.

I would get a Starion/Conquest, and mount the engine North/South. :)

What was that site that sold carbon fibre axles?
Got BoOsT?

Offline KevinBuckham

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 05:38:48 pm »
Quote from: "Leon Hui"

Do they make axles too?  I've heard about and seen pictures of a carbon-fiber driveshaft (propeller shaft + yoke), but not front or rear axles (half-shafts).  Magnus Motorsports has 300M rear axles that should be somewhat harder to snap.  But they are quite pricey.

Offline Leon Hui

Converting Awd to Rwd
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 03:20:24 am »
Quote from: "KevinBuckham"
Quote from: "Leon Hui"

Do they make axles too?  I've heard about and seen pictures of a carbon-fiber driveshaft (propeller shaft + yoke), but not front or rear axles (half-shafts).  Magnus Motorsports has 300M rear axles that should be somewhat harder to snap.  But they are quite pricey.

Yeah, they also made axles too, especially front ones for 2GNTs!

I just can't recall what that site was..
Got BoOsT?