Author Topic: Suspension for 2G  (Read 800 times)

Offline Osme Velic

Suspension for 2G
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:29:46 pm »
Hey all...

Well I am new to the site, but I do know a very small amount about these cars...LOL.

I just bought a 96 Eagle Talon AWD TSi about a month ago. So far I am quiet happy with the car, its a HUGE step up from my Cavalier, obviously..

Anyways I've been going through the site, reading and learning. What I kinda cant seem to find is, suspension...I've been making some extra money (I'm an apprentice painter...cars)...I would like to know what the owners of 2G cars are riding on, and your thoughts.....the struts, springs, and anything else...Because the stock ride height just sucks.

Also are there any good sites that sell parts for DSM cars...

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I just couldnt seem to find it..
04 Suzuki SV650 :)
04 Ninja 250 stolen/stripped :(
05 BMW 325i :)
96 Talon AWD TSi SADLY sold :(
97 Cavalier sold :(
86 Civic sold :)
89 Accord CRUSHED :(

Licensed Automotive refinish Technican. PM if you are in need

Offline Brandon Boersma

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 08:15:00 pm »
look in the searchthis topic has been gone over many times

Offline Kevin Klapwijk

• UndergroundTuner.com
Re: Suspension for 2G
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 02:18:26 pm »
Quote from: "Osme Velic"
I would like to know what the owners of 2G cars are riding on, and your thoughts.....the struts, springs, and anything else...Because the stock ride height just sucks.
Also are there any good sites that sell parts for DSM cars...
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I just couldnt seem to find it..

Before you decide to lower your ride you need to decide on two things...

1. how much of a drop inch you want or are comfortable with. I suggest 2", I had Eibach 1"4/5 drop and wasn't as pleased with the looks. but its your call.  Best way is to take a pic of your car sideview, and use any image editor software to find a height you like....you get the picture.

2. Adjustable coilovers or springs?  If you want to spend big bucks get Full-threaded-body coilovers with pillow ball mounts.

One of the most popular is to get Tein, Tanabe or Eibach Springs and Tokico Gas Shocks.  Also make sure your camber isn't bad.  Camber is bad when you see lowered cars with wheels that look like this...  
                          // is a tire         {} is the car
//{}\\

If you have stock rims on a lowered car, chances are that the camber will need fixing but if you get some rims 17" or more you might not need a camber kit, as it MIGHT be ok.  Having bad camber WILL kill the treads and life of your tires...trust me.
Make sure you get a camber kit installed by a shop, call Lordco or ask someone in this club if they got a hookup with discounts at Lordco or mechanic shop.

If after you lower your car and want to be sure that it doesn't hinder your tire life or performance, get the camber kit or make it a goal to get it sometime later.  Also you might want to buy some sway bars, look around for some used ones for $100bucks.

Some Tips for you....
Never cut springs to get a lowered look.  Springs are made to hold your car's weight and cutting them makes them weaker.
Dont use springs with stock shocks.  Because the stock springs are longer, putting lowering springs will put alot of stress on the stock shocks which will wear your shocks out faster.

Hope all this helps!
1997 GSX Eclipse
1997 GS Eclipse

Cell: 778-889-4293

Offline Osme Velic

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:08 pm »
Cool thanx for the help guys....Oh I found the search thingie...It works well....lol

I had Eibach sportlines on my cavalier (still do) on stock struts. It was ok for a little while, but obiously the stockers gave. My plan was to put Koni yellows around, but I soon after realized I wanted a faster and better car...

Thanx again.

Offline Colin Kilpatrick

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 04:45:32 pm »
You're from bcj, right?  I'm colin04.  anyways, I have eibach sportlines with tokico 5 way adjustable gas shocks.  rides extremely nice for a lowered car.  very smooth.  the springs drop the car about 2 inches.  only thing is, the car is REALLY low.  I would not suggest these springs if you plan on doing 3 inch exhaust cuz you will scrape on everything.

here's what it looks like

Offline marlin pradana

lowering
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
search on the site prior to asking a question thanks
2008 Infiniti G37 coupe (wifes)
2007 Infiniti G35 sedan on 22"
2007 volvo c70 stock (sold)
1997 eclipse spyder GST- 19" rims DVD HID kit,prokit, (sold)
1999 eclipse gsx (first car and will always keep)
1997 eclipse gst (sold)
1997 talon tsi (sold thank god what a lemon)

Offline Osme Velic

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:32:05 pm »
Yes I am from Bcj...I remember your post on the Members Page pics of the talon, looks real nice...I guess I'll do some more research and hopefully get something good.

Offline Aaron Moore

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 06:49:58 pm »
I've had the Tein basic coil-overs as well as the Tokico handling kit.  

TheTein kit carves corners much better, hands down.
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Suspension for 2G
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 09:01:47 pm »
Osme, the first thing you have to ask yourself is "what do I want to do with this car".  If you just want a car to putt around town, listen to Aaron.  You should know though that 2gs are much better handling cars and if you were planning on autocrossing it, you picked a pretty good car to do it in.  A set of Tein coil overs (not cheap!) will go a long way for that, though not as far as a set of good tires.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)