Author Topic: Changing 1.8l SOHC to 2l DOHC  (Read 721 times)

Aaron Hilgerdenaar

Changing 1.8l SOHC to 2l DOHC
« on: October 22, 2005, 06:18:35 pm »
I was reading on VFAQ about changing my 1.8l eclipse to a 2l. It said that you need to change your head and camshafts at the very least. Anyone ever done this or know anyhting about this? If so, what else needs to be done and how difficult is it to do??

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:38:36 pm »
the engines are completely different man.

Complete engine with all accessories and everything.  Computer, rad, starter, wiring harness, everything.

Could be a different tranny too.

again, not worth it.  Probably harder than changing from a non-turbo 4g63 to a turbo one, as they are at least the same basic engine.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline matt knockaert

swap
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:27:10 pm »
just order one of those jdm turbo motors, i wouldn't be suprised if u need different motor mounts since yours look a little different in some areas. it would be like $2000 for the engine, seen some on ebay. hell, atleast you would have a new engine.
(you think you could keep the block???, then add new head and cams etc.??) sounds like it would be quite an ordeal aaron)
2 talon n/t..:(

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:02:00 am »
first of all, you cant swap heads, you have a G3X series motor, and the 2.0L DOHC is a 4G6X series, so no head swapping. exchanging a 2.0 turbo motor is allot of work and will cost more money then selling your car and buying a turbo car, this has been discussed a hundred times.
But there have been people who have turbo'd there 1.8, its identicle in design as the early dodge colt/mitsubishi mirage turbo SOHC motors (G32BT, 1.6l) you can use the turbo parts off of these 1.6 G32BT motors (exh. mani., oil/water lines etc.) to turbo your motor.

this site explains in allot more detail.
http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9338&highlight=

I have a spare G32BT turbo motor wich would have everything you need for the engine part of the swap, it also has a mint exh. mani. wich is verry verry rare, pm me if your interested.
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2006 G35 sport sedan
-1991 Toyota Previa Van

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too