Author Topic: CV Boot Repair  (Read 583 times)

Offline Zak Mach

• http://www.imvasian.com
CV Boot Repair
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:59:16 pm »
ok im bringing this back from the dead. right befor winter last year, I had some problems with greasey stuff all over the inside of my passenger tire. I posted a topic & some of you guyz said it might me the cv boot. I took the car off insurance & it went into winter storage. now its about that time to reinsure it. I need this problem fixed. can anyone recremend a shop to take this to??
can I take it too any suspension shop to get fixed where they will have the proper parts? I was planning to go to L&R but i think it closed down or something. Knetic is always so busy & im not about to take it to Satan.
also anyone have any idea how much it would cost to do something like this???

Offline Trev_Scott

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:09:27 pm »
Frank at Top End. Hes good with that stuff
- 04 Audi A4 1.8t - (Slightly modded)
- 95 Tsi - Ported sbr mani with tial38, evo3 turbo/O2, 650's, aro afpr,
wineboro 255, 10.5x28x3.5 XS-PWR fmic, Type-s, MBC,
Apexi N1 DP/Exhaust, Maf GenII  3.5" maf, Pocket logger,
Innovate LC1, Stage3 eprom,  poly mounts, act2600/flywheel
BS removed *RIP

Offline John Hartman

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 10:24:34 pm »
Zak, you can do it yourself.  And for prices these days, you may as well just replace the axle.  Its quicker, easier and way less greasy.  You have to take the axle out to do the boot, so you actually save time by just replacing the whole axle with a new one.

Probably cost you $100.  Boot and grease will probably cost you $40 or something(not too sure, just guessing on that) and you will have to take the axle apart, remove the clamps, clean out the old grease and check it for any damage internally, repack it with new grease, reassemble the axle and clamp up both sides.  And thats if there is no damage to the internal parts of the axle.  All it takes is some sand or gravel etc to get past the damaged boot.  And possibly the other boot is nearing its life expectancy?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Nate Killam

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:27:26 pm »
go to lordco i got mine for 80 bucks has 1 year warranty,100 buck core charge.
91 talon tsi awd-2.5" turboback,ported o2.(sold)

Offline Zak Mach

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:28:57 pm »
I found a really good VFaq on this.. yea im prolly gonna just replace the whole new axle.. for those guyz with this same problem & want to fix it yourself. heres the vfaq http://www.vfaq.com/mods/CVboots.html

Offline Kevin Standeven

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:29:13 pm »
Where do you get axles from for cheap?
Just curious, because I did all my boots and got grease EVERYWHERE. Not something I'd enjoy doing again.
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Zak Mach

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:07 pm »
Quote from: "Nate Killam"
go to lordco i got mine for 80 bucks has 1 year warranty,100 buck core charge.

hey nate is that for both sides?

Offline Trevor Germuth

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:58 pm »
I believe I paid about 14$ for a boot kit + grease from Uap.  You do have to remove the entire axle, break it apart and clean it very thouroughly as stated above.  Depending on your financial and mechanical inclination it might be best to replace the entire axle.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Trevor Germuth

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:29 pm »
That 80 bucks would have been for one CV shaft.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline John Hartman

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:34 pm »
Kev (and others)  I went to NAPA, but Fortins is similar price.  Lordco is a tad higher.  Depends on who has it when you need it really.  Similar story and pricing on 2 other types of cars I have done around here recently. (VW and Toyota)

IIRC on my car, one side was like $88 and the other was like $103 or something.  Roughly $200 for both.  and core charges are redinkulous.  Charge em on your VISA and then when you take em back, you didn't loose any money because it was never really charged out.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
CV Boot Repair
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 01:04:50 am »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
And for prices these days, you may as well just replace the axle.  Its quicker, easier and way less greasy.  

And more likely to break if you have good power and a spastic left foot...
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Nate Killam

CV Boot Repair
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 06:19:47 pm »
Yeah only 80 for one side.If you break it,take it back they will give you a new one,just tell them it broke.
91 talon tsi awd-2.5" turboback,ported o2.(sold)