Author Topic: car wobbles at high speeds  (Read 553 times)

Offline Zak Mach

• http://www.imvasian.com
car wobbles at high speeds
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:09:03 am »
lately ive notice the rear end of my car kinda drifts to the left when i hit a bump at high speeds. anyone heard of this before??

im currently on stock shocks with H&R Race springs. recently did a repair on my front cv boot.. but nothings donr to my rear.. could it be the cv boot??

I check all the lugs on my wheels & everything is tight.. only thing i could thing of is rear alighment or rear cv boot.

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 08:20:54 am »
Could it be that your old tired suspension is completely shot, especially being on lowering springs, makes it harder on the shocks.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: car wobbles at high speeds
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:42:20 am »
Quote from: "Zak Mach"
lately ive notice the rear end of my car kinda drifts to the left when i hit a bump at high speeds.

Does it tug the wheel to the left, or does the car drift there without wheel motion?  If the wheel is tugged I would suspect a caster offset up front.  Otherwise I'd check your front and rear alignment (toe) and see that one of your shocks isn't blown.

Since your looking at the car, check out the lower control arm ball joints for excessive play.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 07:27:52 pm »
I agree on the blown shock diagnosis.

Unless something is broken or bent that is.

You say H&R "race" springs?  From H&R's website, the "Competition" spring is thier lowest one.  The stock shocks are not going to take that for long.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Cheung

• http://www.members.asianavenue.com/veilz
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:01 pm »
i believe your shocks are blown; i had the exact same problem as you described... i had fairly new stock shocks (less than 5,000km), and they blew 12,000km later!  

Leaking everywhere... and im strictly a downtown driver too with zero commute!  I am running 2 inch racing springs like you.

Check your shocks for leaks-- one tell tale sign is if theres that caked on dirt to your shock body.  That's probably the fluid from the shock with street dirt on it.

If you upgade your shocks to Tokicos, Konis, etc... you will think to yourself why didn't you do it earlier -- g'luck!